Life goes on for IU athletics

During a weekend in which nine IU athletic teams were in action, there was not much time to grieve over the resignation of Athletic Director Michael McNeely.\n"We have to continue to work like we always did, day in and day out," IU athletic department spokesman Jeff Fanter said.\nBut it wasn't easy to ignore the fact the department's leader abruptly resigned amid a $1 million deficit.\nThe University announced McNeely's resignation at 11:30 a.m. Friday, to the chagrin of some athletes.\nWhen the rumors began floating that the athletic director was leaving, some football players said McNeely was great for the University because his track record and ideas were beneficial to players and the future of IU athletics.\n"(McNeely) had a good vision," IU spokeswoman Jane Jankowski said. "He was committed to student athletes, but the situation made for not a good fit."\nThe University will pay McNeely in accordance with his five year contract. The total payout is being calculated by University officials, but it is expected to be approximately $800,000. He was supposed to make $256,250 this year.\nIU Vice President for Administration and Chief Administrative Officer Terry Clapacs will replace McNeely on an interim basis. \nBrand and Clapacs held a meeting Friday morning in the athletic offices with several staff members, in which Clapacs introduced himself and asked for the support of the department staff. \nAccording to a statement released by the University, matters within the athletics department did not work out for McNeely or IU.\n"It was a mutual decision between both parties," Clapacs said. "It was not a good fit for Mr. McNeely or IU and both recognized that, and (McNeely leaving) was the outcome."\nJankowski gave a possible explanation of the business aspect of McNeely's leaving.\n"There are occasions where business units have operating losses," Jankowski said. "This was a situation where there was an operating loss. There is no direct tie to one thing, however." \nFanter said everyone in the athletic department is doing their best to stay focused on student athletes.\nSince six of the nine teams in action this weekend were competing at home, the athletic department kept busy, which kept their minds from thinking about McNeely.\n"Days like this can be difficult," Fanter said Friday. "You just need to accept them and move on."\nBefore McNeely's leaving, the main focus of the athletic office was the student athletes, and now, after his departure, their objective remains the same.\n"Sure we are disappointed," Fanter said. "But if the focus is on the student athletes, which it should be, then we do not have much time to think about it." \nFocus was the main point for the basketball team.\n"I was surprised (about the decision)," basketball coach Mike Davis said. "You hate to see anyone lose their job, but I have a team I have to coach. I have to focus on my team. There has been so much that's gone on here, but I've got to focus on these guys here."\nAs Assistant Athletic Director, Fanter's role will not be altered in any way. During the transition from former athletic director Clarence Donninger to McNeely, Fanter kept the same active role in the sports administration. He expects it to be same outcome this time around.\n"My role has been consistent. It doesn't vary much in what I do," Fanter said. "My drive doesn't change." \nThere was no final decision on Thursday regarding McNeely's future with IU, Clapacs said, and the University could not comment on the matter because of the uncertainty. \n"When you are dealing with personnel issues there needs to be a period of confidentiality," Clapacs said. "When you are dealing with their careers and their family life there always needs to be dignity and care in those sorts of matters. (McNeely resigning) wasn't finalized until it was announced"