Hoosier wrestlers finish strong

Over 20 schools participate, only a few dominate

In the Missouri Open, their first tournament of the year, the Hoosiers notched three top-five finishes. Sophomore Pat DeGain (197-pounds), and juniors Coyte Cooper (141-pounds), and Ty Matthews (heavyweight) finished first, second, and fourth respectively in their weight classes Sunday. DeGain, Cooper, and Matthews were all ranked in the top 20 of their weight classes in preseason publications and, on Sunday, they showed why.\nIn the 197-pound weight class, DeGain defeated Oklahoma's Tom Grossman 8-3 to earn the first place title. At 141, Cooper lost to Central Michigan's Jason Mester 3-2 in the championship bout to earn second place. In the heavyweight division, Matthews was defeated by Missouri senior Dante Stone 3-1 in a bout that went to overtime to decide third place. \nIllini wrestlers took home four of the ten weight class titles. Kyle Ott (125-pounds), Mark Jayne (133-pounds), Matt Lackey (165-pounds), and Brian Glynn (174-pounds) took first place in their weight classes. \nThe Central Michigan Chippewas took three titles. Ty Morgan (149-pounds), David Bolyard (157-pounds), and Mester (141-pounds) were first place finishers. \nSooner grapplers Josh Lambrecht (184-pounds) and Leonce Crump (heavyweight) also took home titles.\nThis was an individual tournament and as such only individual scores, not team scores, were taken.