Athletic director leaving IU

Department sources say McNeely out after 16 months

Michael McNeely, the man who orchestrated a complete overhaul of the IU sports brand, is leaving the University after just 16 months on the job, sources in the athletic department said Thursday evening.\nOfficial sources within the University would not comment on McNeely's status with IU.\nSpokesman Bill Stephan told the IDS late Thursday that the University has taken no action with McNeely.\n"If the question is 'Has he been fired,' the answer is 'no,'" Stephan said. "If you have coaches saying that, it's incorrect."\nMcNeely, who officially received the title of athletic director on March 1, 2001, single-handedly overhauled the athletic department, most notably bringing back IU's vintage cream and crimson colors and planning to build a new athletic center.\nBut he also faced the department's first ever deficit and issues of morale within the coaching ranks. \nLast week, The Indianapolis Star reported that the Equality in Athletics Disclosure Act report shows IU is in the red $3.4 million.\nMcNeely reported to the board of trustees in September the department was facing a $1 million deficit. He cited greater student-athlete scholarship costs, post-season competition costs and rising sports program costs as reasons for the debt.\nSources close to the athletic department said McNeely did not work in the office Thursday, which they said is unusual for him.\nWhen asked whether McNeely had been asked to resign, Stephan said he had no information on the topic.\nAthletic department sources also said Thursday that two of McNeely's top associates, Chief Operating Officer Craig W. Angelos and Chief Financial Officer Jason Lewis would also leave the University.\nSports Information Director Gavin Lang said the department has been in the dark about the issue. Lang said that he was not in the office Thursday and had only heard rumors about McNeely's possible departure.\n"At this moment we cannot confirm or deny anything," Lang said.\nIU spokeswoman Jane Jankowski would not say whether McNeely is leaving. Jankowski said the University has not taken any action.\nMcNeely, who replaced a retiring Clarence Doninger, was scheduled to make $256,250 in his second year of a five year contract.\nIn his brief stint at IU, McNeely transformed the way the department works, creating a universal logo and a athletics-wide apparel contract with Nike. \nMcNeely told the IDS in February that the changes were an effort to define IU spirit and unify the University and the athletic teams.\n"We have consistency in the way that we represent ourselves. It doesn't mean that there is radical change. In fact, the reality is that some changes will be ever-so-subtle people wouldn't even notice a difference," McNeely said. "What we are talking about here -- and the big picture -- is Indiana representing themselves consistently. The way we look in terms of our colors and the logo that we use, that's really what the question is.\nRumors were swirling about McNeely's departure, said Bruce Jaffee, chairman of the IU athletic committee.\n"Someone had said something was going to come out of Assembly Hall (Thursday)," Jaffee said.\nIU strength and conditioning coach Stephane Rochet said McNeely had a vision for IU athletics.\n"He's been here for a year and a half, give him a chance," Rochet said. "There's some just crap politics going on that some people were scared to have him either take the limelight or scared to be successful, I guess."\nMcNeely's departure now leaves the University searching for a full-time University president, athletic director and an IU-Purdue University at Indianapolis chancellor.\nMcNeely was unavailable for comment Thursday.\nTerry Clapacs, who became McNeely's supervisor Nov. 1 following President Myles Brand's decision to leave IU, did not return messages left at his office and his Bloomington residence.\nReporters Sarah Meinecke, Josh Weinfuss, Bennett Haeberle and our newsgathering partners at WTIU NewsForum contributed to this report.