Top spots elusive as last round looms

Xavier, Wright State, Eastern Michigan, dominate in tournament's first two rounds

After the first day of play at the Xavier Invitational in Mason, Ohio the Hoosiers are in contention for a shot at the top place during the third and final round today.\nAfter bouncing around the leader board during the first round Monday, IU regrouped in the second round, and took the lead for the middle holes of the last 18 today.\nBut, the Hoosiers could not keep the lead as they jockeyed with host Xavier and Wright State for the top spot. When the second round ended, the Hoosiers found themselves in fourth place, twelve-over-par, entering the final round tomorrow. Wright State, Xavier and Eastern Michigan round out spots one through three respectively. \n"We started out pretty consistent today, but we just couldn't card the low numbers," coach Mike Mayer said in a statement. "The second round was better for us and we were actually leading there for a majority of the afternoon."\nIndividually for the Hoosiers, sophomore Jeff Overton continued his sparkling play as did senior captain Ben Davidson who both broke even pars and are tied for seventh.\nSophomore Heath Peters ended the day seven-over-par, freshman Scott Seibert is five-over-par, and senior Aldo Jordan is nine-over-par. \nThe Hoosiers are ahead of all of their Big Ten conference competitors in the field. Iowa is sixth with 586, Penn State is tied for seventh with 587; and Michigan is tied for 14th with 597.\nPlay continues with the third round tomorrow, beginning at 8:30 a.m. with a shotgun start.