Change pays off

After switching from soccer, goalie helps lead team

Three years ago, if someone would have told Molly Pulkrabek that by her senior season she would be a star goalkeeper on the IU field hockey team, she probably would have laughed in their face. Pulkrabek, from Barrington, Ill., came to IU as a soccer goalie for the Hoosiers, and played her freshman season on the squad. But when field hockey coach Amy Robertson started the program during Pulkrabek's sophomore year, she made the switch from shin guards to hockey sticks. Pulkrabek said her soccer background has helped her immensely in field hockey.\n"When I switched over to field hockey it was a lot of the same thing with the angles of the shots and movement off the ball," Pulkrabek said. "It's basically the same tactics. The switch over wasn't that hard it was just getting used to the equipment."\nPulkrabek also credits her love for indoor soccer's fast paced tempo as aiding her preparation for the switch over.\n"It's a lot quicker," Pulkrabek said of field hockey. "But I always liked indoor soccer better, and that's a lot more fast paced."\nPulkrabek's quick learning style, athleticism and hard working ways have shown remarkable improvement in her third year between the pipes. From giving up an average of 5.31 goals a game in 2000 to last year's 3.92 goals against average, Pulkrabek has seen her game taken to a whole new level in 2002. Through seven games, Pulkrabek is only surrendering a 1.57 goals against average while facing 118 shots. The 5-foot, 7-inch senior might have had her best game last Saturday against Ball State when she faced 27 shots and set a school record with 17 saves in the Hoosier's 1-0 loss. Pulkrabek said she likes being that active, but wouldn't mind the other keeper seeing some too.\n"I do enjoy being active because I want to be a determining factor in the game," Pulkrabek said. "Ideally, I'd like to sit back there and relax and watch my team have at it, but it's also boring when that happens."\nAfter sharing duties last season with sophomore Katie Kanara, Pulkrabek suddenly saw the position thrust squarely upon her shoulders in 2002 after Kanara went out for the year with a preseason shoulder injury. Robertson then moved Lauren Brophy from defensive back to goalie. Brophy credits Pulkrabek with helping ease the transition.\n"She's very experienced and encouraging," Brophy said. "She's giving me pointers and teaches me as much as she can."\nSandy Willmott is in his third season coaching goaltenders for the Hoosiers.\n"She's adapted remarkably quickly because of her soccer positioning," Willmott said. "She's a steady influence on our defensive unit, and she's very calm in the face of pressure."\nPulkrabek credits the team's improved commitment to winning and her practice techniques as keys to her success in 2002. The team has already doubled their win total with a 2-5 record compared to their 1-16 showing in 2001. \n"I have more experience this year, and as a whole I feel the whole team has a better commitment and that has made me have a better commitment," Pulkrabek said. "I think that whole aura of being able to do better as a whole helps me work harder and strive for better things."\nWillmott said Pulkrabek's off-season conditioning has made the biggest difference for her in 2002.\n"She has made really big strides in her strength and conditioning," Willmott said. "That has enabled her to be more explosive in her technique, and that has helped her confidence to become one of the best goaltenders in the Big Ten"