Woessner goes for the gold medal

Bloomington, Ind. -- Women's swim team captain Susan Woessner will return to Bloomington this week with at least two medals.\nAfter the IU senior won a silver medal in the 100-meter backstroke, she earned a bronze medal in the 50-meter backstroke Monday night at the World University Games in Beijing.\nWoessner had a time of 29.50 seconds and defeated teammate and former Michigan swimmer Jennifer Crisman (29.54) by four-hundredth of a second to capture the bronze.\nSaturday night, Woessner won a silver medal in the 100-meter backstroke and recorded the 26th fastest time in United States history. She will make another run at a gold medal today when she swims as part of the United States' 400-meter medley relay squad.\n"It was our goal coming in to sweep the relays," Woessner said in a press release. "We do have solid swimmers in each event, so hopefully we can put it all together to win the medley. Japan should also put together a strong relay, so it will be a tough race for us."\nIU women's swimming head coach Dorsey Tierney is in Beijing serving as an assistant coach for the United States.\n"Susan has improved vastly in long course swimming," Tierney said in a press release. "Coming to a meet like this, this is the first time she's really done it when the spotlight's on her. I think that's been the biggest difference for her... just sticking to her game plan and having more control"