Wizards sign top draft picks

Jeffries, Dixon sign contracts for three years with team

WASHINGTON -- The Washington Wizards signed first-round draft pick Jared Jeffries on Wednesday.\nThe 6-foot-11, 215-pound Jeffries was the 11th overall pick in last month's draft.\nAs part of the NBA collective bargaining agreement, he signed a three-year contract worth between $4.1 and $5 million with an option for a fourth year. If the option is exercised, Jeffries can be paid slightly more than $2 million.\nJeffries left IU after his sophomore season when he led the Hoosiers to the national championship game. He averaged 15.0 points and 7.6 rebounds last season and was selected the Big Ten's MVP and a second-team All-American by The Associated Press.\n"We are very excited to have Jared be a part of the Wizards," Washington general manager Wes Unseld said in a statement. "He is a quality player that will bring a lot to our team as our young nucleus matures."\nJeffries' mother, Cecilia Jeffries, said she was relieved her son was a Wizard. She and her family drove Jeffries to Washington from the draft in New York to meet the Wizards' staff.\n"(It was a) good experience meeting the people," Cecilia said. "(The Wizards) are a real good fit. I'm so happy."\nFirst-round draft choice Juan Dixon, who led Maryland to the NCAA championship, signed a contract Thursday.\nDixon, a guard who was the 17th overall selection, approved a deal that will pay him $3.15 million over three years under the collective bargaining agreement. He also has an option for a fourth year at $1.73 million.\n"I'm excited. I've been ready to get things started," Dixon said. "I'm just trying to learn as much as possible, and I have a lot of great people to learn from."\nDixon grew up and played high school basketball in Baltimore, then went to nearby College Park to play for the Terrapins.\n"Juan brings tremendous ability and heart to the Wizards," general manager Wes Unseld said in a statement. "He is a proven leader who wants to showcase his talents in the NBA."\nDixon did not participate in the first workout of Washington's mini-camp Thursday morning, but was in uniform for Thursday evening's workout.\nHe was selected as Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four, and was Maryland's leading career scorer with 2,269 points. He also was a first team All-American after averaging 20.4 points as a senior.