Volleyball team earns first Big Ten win against Iowa

Hoosiers drop Friday match to No. 21 Gophers

IU's loss to Minnesota's volleyball team Friday didn't stop them from beating Iowa Saturday night. The Hoosiers now stand at 4-9 in the season and 1-5 in the Big Ten. IU fell to Minnesota Friday in three games. With 15 kills, freshman Karla Crose led the Hoosiers, and sophomore Melissa Brewer helped out with 13 kills. Junior Laurie Gardner returned after recovering from a shoulder injury earlier in the week. Even with the help of Gardner being back and the skills of Crose and Brewer, IU managed to have 29 hitting errors on their side.\nCoach Katie Weismiller said the scores didn't reflect the competition that went on that night, and that it could have been the best Minnesota has played all year. "Both teams played with a lot of heart," Weismiller said. "The scores were close with a lot of sideouts and great plays."\nThe loss to Minnesota didn't get the Hoosiers down. Saturday night they played Iowa in five games. Starring in the Iowa game was freshman Christina Archibald. Archibald led the Hoosiers with a triple-double, recording 21 kills, 17 digs, and 10 blocks. Also leading the Hoosiers to victory was Brewer with 20 kills and 13 digs. Iowa took the first and second games, 30-27 and 30-26. But the Hoosiers didn't give up the fight. With some changes in the line-up, IU managed to beat the Hawkeyes 30-18 in game three. Game four started in favor of Iowa, but ended in IU's favor at 30-26, causing the players to play in fifth tie-breaking game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. \nBrewer had a clutch kill that put the Hoosiers only one point away from victory.\nWith adrenaline pumping, Brewer helped out once again with the final kill of the evening that won the Hoosiers their first Big Ten match of the season. \n"After the match you could see how much the girls wanted that win," Weismiller said. "It's a definite turning point for us, giving IU a lot of confidence going into match play this week against St. Louis. Having fun and winning tonight gives the team a great boost knowing they can win, especially in a hard-fought match"