Up in Smoke

Indianapolis fire stations go tobacco-free

Indianapolis firefighters will see less smoke on the job after Thursday.\nOn the 25th anniversary of the American Cancer Society's Great American Smokeout, the city's fire department went tobacco-free -- permanently.\n"We can buy the best fire engines and ladder trucks, the best protective clothing and the best training, and all of that will not save as many lives as if enough firefighters quit using tobacco," said Fire Chief Louis Dezelan.\nAbout 140 of the department's 745 firefighters smoke, according to the Indianapolis Fire Department. Others use smokeless tobacco.\n"We're in the smoky environments a lot as it is," said Indianapolis Fire Capt. Don Brunson, a marathon runner, only a day after he quit smoking cold turkey. "So why compound it with smoking on top of that?"\nThe fire department brought the idea to the American Cancer Society, which provided the department with resources for support to help quit smoking.\nThe Indianapolis Fire Department joined with the IU Nicotine Dependency Center, the Public Safety Medical Services, the American Lung Association, Glaxco-Smith-Kline (the makers of Nicoderm) and American Cancer Society for support of the policy.\nFifty firefighters signed up for information on ways to quit smoking.\n"So far," Dezelan added,. "we've got several boxes of stuff in a room where they can come in and pick it up, and they continue to come in."\nThe fire department also hung posters written by Dezelan and developed by Public Safety Medical Services and the Public Safety Health Center.\nIn each of the city's 26 stations hangs a poster depicting a firefighter in full gear. \n"Do you love your job?" it asks. "Then don't let tobacco cut your career short."\nA second poster depicts a kneeling firefighter placing a helmet on a little girl. \n"I want to grow up to be just like you," it reads. "Firefighters are part of the few remaining heroes kids have. When children see you, they idolize you and they want to be like you. …Don't send the message that if they want to be like our firefighters they should use tobacco."\nThe idea of tobacco-free stations started years ago. In 1984, the Indianapolis Fire Department developed a fitness and wellness standard, becoming one of the nation's leading departments in that respect. In 1996, the department joined a 10-department initiative to remove tobacco from fire stations.\nA year and a half ago, the department announced it would remove tobacco from stations on Nov. 15.\nIt did just that.\nWednesday morning, Dezelan appeared on radio shows across the country to announce the department's new policy.\nDezelan and Brunson were also scheduled to make the announcement to the nation on NBC's "Today Show" Thursday morning. The interview Thursday was canceled because of coverage of Monday's plane crash in New York. \n"We encourage everybody to go smoke-free for the day," said Stephanie Williams, American Cancer Society Community Development Director. "I think the fire department has gotten wonderful coverage which has really highlighted our event. It's positive, really positive."\nWilliams said the new smoke-free policy at the fire department will help promote the American Cancer Society's mission.\n"They are setting a positive example for the community to respond."\nDezelan said the tobacco-free policy is doing just that.\n"I have had people from outside the department tell me because of this program they are going to quit using tobacco," he said.\nThe Great American Smokeout is a national program to encourage smokers to quit or lessen their use of tobacco products for at least the day.