Tensions mount as countries debate responsibility for presumed death of pilot

As the standoff between the United States and China enters its second week, no resolution is in sight to the conflict that started with the collision of a U.S. EP-3 Aries II spy plane and a Chinese F-8 fighter jet in international airspace. This is shaping up to be President George W. Bush's first major foray into foreign relations -- an area in which he seemed to be weak during his election campaign.\nThe Chinese fighter pilot is missing and presumed dead, and the spy plane's crew of 24 is still being detained in Hainan, an island off the coast of China. Intense negotiations and heated statements have continued as the two sides continue debating.\nBush considers the presumed death of the Chinese pilot "regrettable," but said the U.S. will not accept blame for the accident.\n"We have nothing to apologize for," Vice President Dick Cheney said during an interview on NBC's "Meet the Press." "The president has made it clear we regret the loss of the Chinese pilot as a result of this accident ... (but) we have to continue exercising our right to be in international airspace."\nThe U.S. believes the Chinese pilot, Wang Wei, is to blame. According to U.S. government press releases, Wei was considered to be a "reckless hot dog." In past missions, Wei reportedly flew close enough to U.S. planes to flash his e-mail address to the pilots.\nChina believes the opposite and is demanding an apology for both the death of Wei and the presence of the spy plane. \n"The Chinese armed forces and people will not accept it if the U.S. government attempts to evade its responsibility," Chinese Defense Minister Chi Haotian said during a televised meeting with the wife of Wei.\nThe strong influence of the People's Liberation Army in Chinese politics threatens to heighten the already tense situation.\n"No one can run China without the support of the army," University of California at Berkeley China scholar Richard Baum told CNN.\nAnother possible factor in the standoff is whether the U.S. will sell weapons to Taiwan, considered by mainland China to be a breakaway province. The Chinese army has continually urged the U.S. to avoid such sales.\nAlthough heated accusations and discussions continue, many remain confident that the issue will be resolved soon. U.S. officials are hopeful that the crew of the spy plane will be released promptly.\nBut even if the event ends this week, repercussions could last for years. Rumors of economic retaliation from Capitol Hill are spreading. \nChairman of the House International Relations Committee, Rep. Henry Hyde, R-Ill., is threatening to slow down China's acceptance into the World Trade Organization. Hyde also said he might oppose renewing China's normal trade relations with the U.S. -- allowing lawmakers to impose tariffs on China's exports. Although its exports to the U.S. account for 4.2 percent of its total output, China's financial and trading hub, Hong Kong, sends more than 26 percent of its goods across the Pacific, according to The Economist. The U.S.'s ability to inflict economic pain will assuredly play a major role in deciding the final outcome of the conflict.