Teams cite determination as key to victory

The middle of the pack for the women's Little 500 could contain this year's champion if track conditions improve and luck is on someone's side. Even though Alpha Omicron Pi, Con Fuoco and Alpha Phi have not been powerhouses recently, these teams say not to be surprised if determination drives them past the favorites.\nAlpha Omicron Pi (3:04.25)\nWith only one veteran, Alpha Omicron Pi faces an uphill battle, but the team has impressed by moving up eight positions from last year's qualifications. \nSo far this year's performances show an obvious change from last year's team.\n"We are a lot more confident this year because we actually had a real training program," sophomore Kat Worsham said.\nAlthough the team consists predominately of rookies, two of the rookies have trained since September, and it shows in their solid exchanges and communication, Worsham said.\nWorsham said she expects a top 15 finish and hopes the team can finish 97 of the 100 laps.\nCon Fuoco (3:05.25)\nWith only three riders, independent Con Fuoco must rely on its three-time Little 500 riders to compete with the 2001 field.\nLast year, Con Fuoco qualified ninth, but because of a wreck during the race, it finished in a disappointing 21st place. This mishap motivates the riders to improve.\n"We want to do better, but we have to be careful at the same time to make sure that something like that doesn't happen again," junior Madeleine Mogle said. "We want to do well and show everyone that we've been training hard."\n Although Con Fuoco members admit they are not as "hardcore" as the pole-sitting Roadrunners, they have something working for them that other teams might not possess.\n"We feel really comfortable with our exchanges, and we can really read each other," Mogle said. "What's really great about our team is that we are all very good friends."\nAlpha Phi (3:06.00)\nDespite some complaints about the track conditions during qualifications, which forced cautious riding to guarantee qualification, Alpha Phi views the Little 500 positively. \nAlpha Phi will start in the middle of the pack, but junior Jennifer Shaffer said she believes that the middle position could prove an advantage.\n"We have a good position on the outside that gives us potential to move up and watch the teams in front of us," Shaffer said. "Yet, we're not so far back that we'll get caught up in a wreck."\nEven if Alpha Phi does not finish toward the top, it will look at it as a learning experience for the three rookies.\n"Of course we have high expectations as rookies, but we also have to think practically," junior Allison Ferro said. "Veterans have so much more experience already being in a race, and that's a definite advantage. I definitely hope we place really well, but I think next year we'll do much better"