Team heads to Badger Invitational

Hoosiers boast No. 1-ranked golfer in Miller

The 2001-02 golf campaign tees off Saturday as the Hoosiers head to Madison, Wisc., to face 14 other teams in this year's Badger Invitational at University Ridge Golf Course.\nIn addition to IU, the field consists of: Duke, Colorado State, Toledo, Purdue, Arkansas-Little Rock, Southeastern Louisiana, Iowa, Penn State, Michigan, Illinois, Western Kentucky, Miami of Ohio, Xavier and host Wisconsin. \nDuke, Colorado State, Toledo and Purdue made it to the NCAA Tournament last year and could provide the stiffest competition. \n"This is an impressive lineup (of opponents)," coach Mike Mayer said.\nIU shot an 888 in the 2000 Badger Invite for seventh place. This year, Mayer said he looks for the Hoosiers to improve upon that mark. \n"I'm definitely looking for a finish in the top 10, and if we play well, we should be in the top five," Mayer said.\nFive Hoosiers will be playing in the 54-hole, two-day event. Getting the nod as the number one golfer is senior Mike Miller. \n"It feels good to play well enough to get the number one spot," Miller said. "Now I have to show I'm there for a reason."\nJuniors Ben Davidson and Aldo Jordan and sophomore Kirk Wood will also compete. Freshman Jeff Overton will make his collegiate debut by playing in the number three spot.\n"Jeff's as tough as I've seen," Mayer said. "He's a seasoned freshman."\nThe players are eager to take on University Ridge, a Robert Trent Jones Jr.-designed course that is ranked the third best college course in the nation by Golf Week. \nMayer had praise for the course. \n "It's one of the best courses in the northern United States… it offers a gamut of shots," he said.\n Jordan, who finished 17th in the Badger Invitational last year, said the course was demanding.\n "(It's) very tough, it has narrow and wide fairways, slopes, flat areas… a lot of trees and bunkers," Jordan said.\n Jordan's familiarity with the course could provide to be a boost, as he said he is optimistic that he can top last season's effort.\n"I just have to make a few crucial putts and build up some momentum… hopefully I can win it," Jordan said.