Üt Haus celebrates 12 years

"Jazz is my adventure," famed musician Thelonius Monk once said. For the Üt Haus Jazz Band, this genre of music has created just that sort of unique adventure. Combining their love of jazz and endearing friendship, the four IU alumni have been performing, composing and entertaining for the past twelve years. \nTonight those years will be celebrated at Bear's Place at 5:30 p.m. as part of the Jazz Fables Concert Series, created by Üt Haus member David Miller.\nTrumpeter Miller, Jerry Morris on French horn and vocals, Brian Kearney, saxophone, and bassist Steve Johnson compromise the full sound of the Üt Haus Jazz band. Tonight's performance will showcase a wide array of jazz styles and songs ranging from original compositions from the band to a piece by legend Duke Ellington to even variations of old favorites such as "Moon River" and "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." All the material to be played tonight was arranged by Morris.\n"His unique arrangements are what give us our sound," Miller said. \nThe band will also be playing an original composition by Miller, called "Stan's Gauge," dedicated to the late drummer Stan Gauge. \n"I'm really looking forward to 'Stan's Gauge,' which Dave wrote and Jerry arranged. It's a really fine piece," Kearney said. \nBesides the original and unique arrangements, the band is also anticipating playing together again live for an audience.\n"I'm excited for the performance after having practices in my basement every Monday of the year," Kearney said. "It's always a great opportunity to perform with the Jazz Fables series.\nThe band made a recording of these practices and released it onto CD-R format in May of 2001. It is called "Best of the Basement" and "Alt.Basement." The band will be releasing a limited number of a two CD set tonight allowing fans to hear how their music has progressed over the years.\nThe men played together in the high school band in Greenfield, Ind. in the 1960s. \n"We've known each other for about 40 years. I was in Cub scouts with Jerry. Dave and I met in the junior high band," Johnson said. \nThe summer of 1990 marked the beginning of Üt Haus. The core group of friends indulges in music outside the typical realm of jazz, creating the 'üt.' The 'haus' used with 'üt' indicates the band's close relation with home roots and remaining outside mainstream jazz. \n"(Üt Haus) is outside the norm. It lets us do something that's really personal. It's very close to my heart," Miller said.