Strawberry shortcake a summer favorite

Sweet, ripe and naked -- that's how most people go for strawberries. Their juicy succulent flesh, curvaceous shape and seductive aroma are irresistible unadorned, but coupled with a warm buttery biscuit and crowned with a dollop of whipped cream? Ambrosia.\n"As American as apple pie" has a fine ring, but by my measure, strawberry shortcake is the true patriotic pastry. It goes hand in hand with sultry summer weather, tasting finest at the end of long, sunny days spent doing little else save sipping tall, cold glasses of fresh-squeezed lemonade.\nThough "shortcake" may arrive at the table with any number of different bases (from angel food cake to pound cake), the real thing should have a rich, slightly sweet, biscuit foundation. The "short" in the name is the hint to its richness -- short describes pastries and cookies that have a high proportion of fat (in this case, butter) to flour. Once prepared, the golden brown-tipped shortcakes are split horizontally (while still warm, or cooled) and piled high with berries and softly whipped cream.\nShortcake is stupefyingly simple to make, foolproof and very good. It is free of the fuss of French pastry and, because its leavening agents are baking soda and baking powder, no kneading or rising is required. \nI am partial to making the process even easier by preparing the shortcakes "drop"-style. This means that the dough's liquid ingredients are increased so that it may be plopped onto baking sheets from a large kitchen spoon (no rolling or cutting out of the dough). \nNow if you want the shortcake but the market strawberries are sad, squishy, or altogether absent, substitute just about any fruit that looks dessert-worthy. Honey-sweet apricots, lush mangoes, and blackberries are all winning substitutions, but you can be as creative or daring as you like.\nAfter you have made these shortcakes and discovered how easy it is, you can toy with the recipe to suit yourself. The shortcake biscuits can be topped by a scant amount of chopped nuts or sliced almonds, or try a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar or very finely minced crystallized ginger. As for the cream, think spices (1/2 teaspoon or so of cinnamon, ground ginger, or cardamom), liqueurs (1 or 2 teaspoons of orange or Amaretto), or fresh herbs and citrus zest (lemon or orange zest and fresh mint, for instance).\nSwedish cream, a mixture of sour cream and heavy whipping cream, is akin to creme fraiche, but much easier to make. If you want extra tang to the dessert, use it in place of the sweetened whipped cream. Of course it is nicest to eat shortcake with people you like, love and admire, so start making some calls.\nStrawberry Sour Creamdrop Shortcakes\n4 cups sliced strawberries \n3 tablespoons granulated sugar\n1 cup all-purpose flour\n3 tablespoons granulated sugar\n1 teaspoon baking powder\n1/4 teaspoon baking soda\n1/4 teaspoon salt\n1/2 stick (1/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits\n1/3 cup sour cream \n1/3 cup milk\n1 cup well-chilled heavy whipping cream \n1 and 1/2 tablespoons sugar (more or less to taste) \nUsing a fork, in a medium bowl mash 1 cup strawberries with 3 tablespoons granulated sugar. Stir in remaining berries. Let berries and nectarines stand at room temperature while preparing shortcakes.\nPreheat oven to 425° F and lightly butter a baking sheet. In a large bowl whisk together flour, 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; blend in butter with pastry cutter or fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal. In a small bowl whisk together sour cream and milk; add to flour mixture. Stir mixture until it just forms a soft and sticky dough and drop into 4 mounds onto prepared baking sheet. Gently pat down dough slightly and bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer shortcakes to a rack and cool slightly or completely.\nIn a large bowl beat heavy cream and 1 and 1/2 tablespoons sugar with electric beaters until it holds soft peaks. Split shortcakes horizontally with a knife and serve with strawberries and whipped cream (alternatively, use Swedish cream in place of whipped cream). Serves 4.\nSwedish Cream (This may be used in place of sweetened whipped cream)\n3/4 cup heavy whipping cream\n2 tablespoons sugar or honey (more or less to taste)\n1/3 cup sour cream \n2 teaspoons orange or Amaretto liqueur (Optional)\nWhip heavy whipping cream and sugar with an electric beater until it holds soft peaks. Fold in sour cream and liqueur. Serve with shortcakes in place of whipped cream.