Senior fullback Johnson to transfer

The IU football team expected to start a new quarterback and running back for the 2002 season.\nNow they'll start a new fullback, too.\nSenior fullback Jeremi Johnson, the Hoosiers' leading returning rusher, has decided to transfer from IU. \nJohnson made his intentions known through the media rather than the athletic department, said Jeff Fanter, director of Media Relations for IU athletics. Fanter said it is not a standard practice for athletes to notify his office when they decide to transfer. \nCoach Gerry DiNardo said in a press release that Johnson made his own decision to leave.\n"I have always released any player -- and will in the future -- if I found no tampering by other schools and the student-athlete was in good academic standing at the time of the transfer," he said. "I have never taken a scholarship away unless there was a serious and continuous violation of team policy."\n The Hoosiers will now have an entirely new offensive backfield in 2002. Quarterback Antwaan Randle El was drafted by the NFL's Pittsburgh Steelers and running back Levron Williams, the 2001 team rushing leader, graduated and signed with the San Diego Chargers. \nCoupled with the loss of Johnson, who rushed for 546 yards and eight touchdowns last season, the Hoosiers will need to make up for nearly 96 percent of last season's run production.\nJunior Brian Lewis will now enter the 2002 season as the Hoosiers' leading rusher. Lewis rushed for 92 yards and one touchdown last year.