Rosh Hashana offers Jewish students chance to reflect, celebrate past year

Hillel offers services for students to repent before new year

Tonight, Jewish students across campus will begin celebrating Rosh Hashana. Along with Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashana is one of two High Holidays that comprise the holiest days on the Hebrew calendar. \nHelene G. Simon Hillel Center Assistant Director Josh Stein explained the significance of Rosh Hashana for the Jewish community.\n"It's a chance for Jews to reflect on the year that's passed and plan for the year to come," he said. "Students will have the opportunity to think about their actions during the past year and do some introspection. They can also repent for any wrongdoings before the start of the Jewish year 5762."\nMany students have reserved seats for dinners to wlcome the High Holidays at 5 p.m. tonight at Hillel and McNutt Quad. Afterward, an IU bus will take students from Hillel and all the residence halls to St. Paul Catholic Center on 1413 E. 17th Street, where Jewish Studies Professor Michael Morgan will lead a service for Reform Jews at 7 p.m.\nAt 8:30 p.m., Rabbi Sue Shifron, Hillel director, will oversee a service for Conservative Jews at the church.\n"I hope there will be a willingness to forgive, and an ability to look within during this time," she said. "After Tuesday's events, I hope the High Holiday period allows people to find light out of darkness so we can move forward into the process of rebuilding."\nHillel President Philip Ohriner, a senior, echoed Rabbi Shifron's sentiments.\n "In general, I think the citizens of this country have turned to religion to deal with the recent terrorist attacks," he said. "In light of what's happened, students will hopefully enter the new year realizing how precious life is."\nReform and Conservative services will be held Tuesday at St. Paul Catholic Center at 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. respectively. In addition, a Tashlich ceremony is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. Tuesday behind Woodburn Hall. Participants will toss pieces of bread into the Jordan River to symbolize the casting away of sins they have committed during the past year. Students also have the option of attending Rosh Hashana services at the Chabad House, 518 E. Seventh Street. Rabbi Yehoshua Chincholker, Chabad director, will lead services tonight at 7 p.m. and Tuesday at 10 a.m. and 7:30 p.m.\nSophomore Jon Harari is enthusiastic about celebrating the holiday at the Chabad House.\n"Jewish students will discover they have a Jewish family at Chabad which makes you proud and excited to be a Jew at IU, regardless of your religious background," he said. "It's nice to see people who come to Chabad House for the first time instantly become part of the family."\nFor more information on Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur prayer services and events at the Helene G. Simon Hillel Center, visit www.idsnews.com or call 336-3824. The Chabad House can be reached at rabbi@indiana.edu or 332-4511.