Performers help cause

This Saturday, a unique fund raising event for the Bloomington Playwrights Project (BPP) will unfold at 312 S. Washington St. The PERFORMathon, a collaborative effort amongst community performers, visual artists and musicians, will provide the public with a smorgasbord of entertainment and the opportunity to support the BPP.\nFor 24 continuous hours, performers will take the stage and make the audience laugh, cry and most importantly, support the arts. Highlights of the performance agenda include a resident comedy troupe, a reading of "love letters" by a husband and wife team and even musicians performing in the nude.\nEach performer has agreed to solicit pledges for the hour he or she will take the stage. All of the proceeds will be given to the BPP.\nA 24-hour pass can be purchased for $10 and an hour-long pass for $5 at the door. These don't include the Saturday night performance of "New World Rhapsody," which must be bought separately for $8.\nThis 24-hour escapade definitely won't be lacking in any energy.\n"It will be fun to see how it transpires," said Richard Perez, director of the event and an enthusiastic participant.\nMany theater companies in New York have discussed similar fundraising ideas, but it's Bloomington where Perez was able to make the ideas a reality. And with events like boxing with the audience, jazz music from Code Blue and an improvisation of how cave men engaged in combat, there is sure to be something for everyone's palette.\n"Theater is often on the frontiers of our cultural examination of current events," said Brian G. Hartz, a member of the BPP and another active participant. "Theater artists are among the first of those trying to make sense of our world."\nThe PERFORMathon begins Saturday, April 13 at 2 p.m. For further information, call the BPP at 334-1188.