Men's track and field team to play host to first scored meet of season

With the past two weekends going unscored as a team, the men's track and field team will play host to its first meet for points at home 12:30 p.m. Saturday at the E.C. Billy Hayes Track. The Hoosiers will face Cinncinati, Ball State, Central Michigan and Iowa in a five-way match. \nThe meet kicks off with the javelin and high jump competitions where two athletes can represent each school.\nThe Hoosiers are looking to extend solid performances last weekend at the Florida Relays and Purdue Invitational, with four Top 10 finishers and one winner. \nBut freshman Contrell Ash was not a part of that success. Sidelined with an injury last weekend, Ash heads a list of Hoosiers preparing for this Saturday's meet, looking to return to previous form. \n"I was missing in action last week with a groin injury," Ash said. "This weekend is a chance to redeem myself from being out." \nAsh will compete Saturday in the 100- and 200-meter sprints, as well as the 4x100-meter and 4x200-meter relays. \nCoach Marshall Goss said he is ready to see how his team competes as a team -- rather than on an individual level.\n"This meet is different from the previous two unscored competitions in that rather than specializing in events and looking to hit NCAA marks, we'll be spreading across events looking to score enough across the board to make up for our lack of depth in some areas," Goss said.\nThe enthusiasm will carry the team only so far as it still lacks experience. With seven seniors, younger members of the team said they look to the future for inspiration. \n"Overall, I think this season will be pretty good," said sophomore hurdler Matt Harris. "We are a young team but in the long run we will do well." \nHarris finished second last week in the 110-meter hurdles with a career best time of 14.48 seconds.\nHarris said he is anxious about getting outside this weekend. With sunshine and moderate temperatures falling upon Bloomington, the Hoosiers are anticipating great weather this weekend. \n"I like to run in the mild and sunny weather and that is how it's supposed to be this weekend," Harris said. "However, when it comes to times, wind from the front or back is what makes the difference." \nAs long as the sun's out, wind won't effect Ash, he said. \n"For me it's warmer weather, better times," he said.\nWith only three team-scored meets this season, the Hoosiers are excited to see probable post-season competition in a smaller meet. \n"Winning our events is very important," Goss said. "We've got to get ready for Big Ten Championships and team scoring adds a whole new dimension to our mentality when we get out there this weekend"