IU's a cappella groups recognized

Straight No Chaser and Ladies First on national CD

Since 1995 Hot Lips Records has put out a Best of College A Cappella CD, and it has become a major competition among college a cappella groups. Tracks on the album are selected from the nearly 200 college a cappella cds that are produced each year. This year both of Indiana University's award winning a cappella groups, Straight No Chaser and Ladies First, made it onto the album. \n"It's very gratifying to know that part of the hard work we put into our new album, "Thank You," is on BOCA," said Ryan Ahlwardt, director of Straight No Chaser. "Not only are there a lot of great groups from all over the country on the album, but a lot of people potentially hear our music with this exposure."\nThe tracks on the album cover a wide variety of male, female and mixed a cappella groups and represent what the president of Hot Lips Records refers to as a new type of college a cappella.\n"Along came the human beatbox in the 80s, and some new ideas about how to sing (alternative) rock without guitars. Suddenly a cappella was expanding beyond elite colleges, appearing at places like UCLA, University of Wisconsin and University of Michigan," Don Gooding, the President of Hot Lips, said in a press release.\nThe majority of the tracks on the album are vocal arrangements of recent pop songs. Tracks include recognizable songs like "Limp" by Fiona Apple, "Here With Me" by Dido and "Rhythm Nation" by Janet Jackson. Straight No Chaser's arrangement of Lenny Kravitz's "I Belong to You" was chosen along with the Ladies First's arrangement of "Independent Woman Part I" by Destiny's Child. \n"Ladies First makes an effort to perform songs that are not typical of a collegiate female a cappella group. We do a lot more R&B like Toya, Destiny's Child and Mary J. Blige," Nora Colwell, the group's director, said. "I think the song was a great representation of the R&B/pop style Ladies First has become known for. The arrangement, done for us by Walt Shilanskas, is extremely creative, and the tight harmonies and intricate vocal percussion really showcase the group." \nAhlwardt also feels the arrangement on the album is a good representation of Straight No Chaser's style.\n"I believe that 'I Belong to You' exhibits the combination of the simplicity and fullness of our arrangements," he said. "Mike Luginbill has a great solo on it and the vocal percussion jams. It's a very chilled tune that people can enjoy in their car, while studying or even at a party." \nThis achievement is just one more on a long list for both groups. Formed in 1996, Straight No Chaser won two College A Cappella Recording Awards for their album "Last Call," Best Male Album and Best Collegiate Male Song. They have performed all over the country, appeared on the CBS Morning Show, and released five albums. Formed in 1998, Ladies First received College A Cappella Recording Awards for Best Female Collegiate Album of 2001 for "Ticket to Run" and runner up for Best Female Collegiate arrangement for the song "Ready to Run." \nThey have toured all over the country and released two albums during their two year career.\nAs well as recognition, both groups have a lot in common. Both recorded their albums at the same studio with the same engineer, which might be why they both made it on to the BOCA CD.\n"I think both groups have an amazing work ethic. I also think that our recording engineer, Dave Weber at Airtime Studios in Bloomington, has an awesome ear and talent for mixing and mastering a cappella music," Colwell said. "Also, with several members for each group being music majors, our success is a compliment to the IU School of Music"