IU lets game slip away

Three vital plays make all the difference for Utes win against the Hoosiers

Three crucial plays. A missed field goal, an interception and a failed two-point conversion were the difference in a game that slipped through the Hoosiers' fingers.\nDespite leading the game going into the fourth quarter, IU (0-2) gave up 14 unanswered points to the Utah Utes (2-1) and had a successful two-point conversion called back to drop the game 28-26.\n"I think the defense played as well as offense did," said senior quarterback Antwaan Randle El. "They had just enough mistakes to get them beat. They didn't give up 40 (points) and we didn't score as we should have. No one is to blame but everyone is to blame."\nUtah was trailing the Hoosiers 20-14 at the beginning of the final period, but before an attendance of 26,591, Utah marched down the field on its second possession of the quarter. The Utes needed just more than two minutes to move the ball down the field, and score on a 27-yard touchdown reception.\nOn the Hoosiers' next possession, Randle El, who is expected to stay at quarterback, threw an interception which set up the Utes second touchdown. Utah needed only two plays before finding the endzone, and with 10 minutes left in the game, the Hoosiers trailed by eight.\n"We throw an interception and give them basically a touchdown or the right position when we are ahead," said head coach Cam Cameron. "That's the only turnover we had, but it's critical at that point."\nIU drained the clock for six minutes on its next possession while attempting to tie the score. The offense converted two third-downs and one fourth-down before Randle El found junior wide receiver Glenn Johnson for a touchdown.\nIU totaled two penalties against Utah, but none more critical than the one with 3:35 remaining in the game. The Hoosiers went for a game-tying, two-point conversion after the touchdown pass, but were called for illegal procedure, and the successful attempt was recanted. On the second try, Randle El was forced to scramble and fell just short of the goal line.\n"All the things that have gone against us. We're down, we need to come back, we have to score, we have to go for two, we have to execute and get the game in overtime," Cameron said. "And we can't get lined up (for the two-point conversion). We've got a wide receiver who needs to get on the ball, and the great thing about college football is all you have to do is look at the official and if his arm is out, that means you are off the ball. That is the difference in this ball game."\nOpting against an onside kick with just over three minutes remaining, the Hoosier defense allowed the Utes to get down to the IU 31-yard line before taking a knee with 1:25 left in the ball game.\n"I thought we had enough time," Cameron said. "We had almost four minutes and feel like you gave yourself a chance, but then they take the ball and run it down and throw. We weren't able to get them stopped."\nUtah received the ball first in the game, and on its first possession was able to score on a one-yard run. The score remained 7-0 until the Hoosiers first drive in the second quarter. During the drive, senior running back Levron Williams -- who had 230 yards rushing, returning and receiving -- helped move the ball with a 17-yard reception. More than four minutes into the drive, Randle El scored on a one-yard run to tie the score. Sophomore place kicker Adam Braucher's point-after attempt was good, and the score was tied 7-7 going into the half.\nThe kicking woes that plagued IU at N.C. State haunted the Hoosiers. The first extra point was the only time Braucher split the goalposts. His first attempt was a 35-yard kick that went wide right with two minutes left in the first half. Braucher was unsuccessful in his next point-after attempt in the third quarter.\n"It's not about finger pointing, but (Braucher) didn't get it done and he knows that," Randle El said. "I'm not going to sugarcoat it, because you cannot sugarcoat something like that. We shouldn't have even been in those situations. Those plays got us beat today."\nKicking was a negative for a team that showed bright possibilities. Williams carried the ball 15 times, five more than against N.C. State, and ran one for a touchdown. On the Hoosiers' second scoring drive, Williams had a 48-yard carry to set up the touchdown. His play complemented Randle El, who was back in his familiar position.\nDespite the final Utah drive, the defense showed signs of improvement. But similar to last year, the defense was unable to make the important stops.\n"You play how you practice and today was a prime example of that," said senior linebacker Devin Schaffer.\n"Some guys who make critical mistakes in practice made the same mistakes today. Utah is a good team, but we made some unforced mistakes. We have to hold everyone accountable for their mistakes. This is Division 1 football, and if teams see you make a mistake, they're going to find a way to exploit it and that is what happened today"