Injuries don't slow Hoosiers in win

Jeffries, Coverdale play through pain, should be re-charged

INDIANAPOLIS - The ankle survived, and the back held up.\nJared Jeffries and Tom Coverdale, who both spent practice time on the sidelines this week with injuries, each played at least 32 minutes and paced No. 21 and fourth-seeded IU in its 67-56 win over fifth-seeded Michigan State in the quarterfinal round of the Big Ten Tournament at Conseco Fieldhouse.\nJeffries, who has endured an ankle sprain over the last six games, scored 14 points and grabbed five rebounds. Coverdale, who began suffering from back spasms late last month, scored 11 points, had seven assists and four steals.\n"My back got kind of sore, but it's nothing that's going to keep me out of any games," Coverdale said.\nCoverdale wore a back brace during practice this week, but didn't use it Friday. Jeffries played on a heavily taped ankle, then wrapped it in ice immediately after the game.\n"It feels a lot better than it did the first time we played," Jeffries said. "They key is for me to keep ice on it and keep going for this three-day stretch."\nBoth Coverdale and Jeffries are expected to play tomorrow, but Coverdale indicated he might have injured his left hand during the first half.\nThe junior guard said he planned to get X-rays, but those came back negative.\n20 more wins\nWith the win Friday, IU recorded its sixth consecutive 20-win season and coach Mike Davis' second in his first two seasons in Bloomington.\nIU went 21-12 last season and moved to 20-10 Friday. Davis is pleased, has some regard for history and is cautious.\n"This is a great basketball program," Davis said. "There is nothing that we're going to do that hasn't been done before. I think the future is bright. It's my job that we keep going to another level. I know I have to stay well prepared."\nRandom numbers\nMichigan State sported the Big Ten's top field-goal-percentage defense this season and eighth-best in the nation, holding opponents to 39 percent. IU shot 52 percent Friday and 55 percent in the second half. IU missed all four of its three-point tries in the second half Friday. The Hoosiers missed all seven of their three-point attempts in the second half during the last regular-season meeting between IU and MSU.