Monday, June 17

Hoosiers ready after hiatus

Following cancellations last week, volleyball team to face state match-up with ISU

The women's volleyball team is back and ready for action tonight against Indiana State University after a cancelled match and tournament last week. The Hoosiers spent their time relaxing and handling personal affairs, according to sophomore Katie Pollom. \n"We had Saturday and Sunday practice off," Pollom said. "We had time to get caught up and focus on school work." \nCoach Katie Weismiller said a break from practice was a necessity.\n"They needed a mental, emotional and even a physical break from everything, especially with what happened last week," Weismiller said, referring to the recent terrorist attacks.\nThe Hoosiers' 7 p.m. match tonight against ISU at University Gym is the team's first home match since the Blimpie/Holiday Inn Classic. \nISU ended their 2000 season with a 15-17 record and return six players from last season. The young team adds nine freshman to the roster. ISU coach Jim Bertoli lead last season's team to its third Missouri Valley Conference post season tournament appearance in four years. The Sycamore's senior force is made up of Cheryl Berg and Megan Mirs. Berg owns the ISU school record for digs with 1,312 while Mirs set the record for assists with 3,880. Both players were named to the second team All-Missouri Valley Conference team last season. \n"I expect a challenging match. We had a good break and now have to get back into the flow of things," Weismiller said. "We need to be prepared to execute fundamentals. We need to play our style and force them to play our way instead of theirs."\nThis week the team will be focusing on getting back into a routine after the off weekend. The players are ready to get back into the gym and work on their game. Senior Disney Bronnenberg said the team is building off of last week's events.\n"We are definitely (anxious) especially after the break, as horrible as it was last week, it gave us time to practice instead of participating in the tournament," Bronnenburg said.\nThe Hoosiers were in St. Louis last week when they got word of the terrorist attacks. The events of the past week have had one positive effect on the team, according to Bronnenburg.\n"We definitely wanted to get back (to Bloomington) and check on our families and friends," she said. "As soon as it happened, the match was a number two, number three priority...The greatest thing was...all of us together glued to the TV...it united us and brought us closer together"