Hoosiers' efforts not quite enough

Team 0-2 in Big Ten

The women's volleyball team started its Big Ten season this weekend with away games at Penn State Friday and Ohio State Saturday. The Hoosiers could not pull off a win against either team.\nThe Hoosiers lost to No. 6 Penn State in four games, 28-30, 30-24, 19-30 and 20-30. One positive out of the game was freshman Christina Archibald's match-high 22 kills, hitting .500 overall. Archibald also helped with 10 digs, but was not the only notable Hoosier against Penn State. Freshman Karla Crose and sophomore Monique Pritz helped the team with seven blocks each. For Penn State, Katie Schumacher had 18 kills and 10 digs. The weekend left Penn State 2-0 in the Big Ten after a victory Saturday night against Illinois.\nOn Saturday , the Hoosiers took on the undefeated Ohio State Buckeyes. It took the Buckeyes only three games to outdo IU at St. John Arena, with match scores of 30-22, 30-20 and 30-27. Stepping up for IU was Archibald with 16 kills and five digs. Sophomore Melissa Brewer had nine kills and two blocks. Ohio State's Stacey Gordon had a career-high 17 kills against the Hoosiers.\nThe team is 3-6 overall and 0-2 in the Big Ten. Conference play will continue September 28-29 with home matches against Wisconsin and Northwestern.