Freshman butterflies, sets record

Halasz overcomes school time set by former Olympian

Mark Spitz is a name that conjures up images of an Olympic great. Murph Halasz is the name that now comes before him in the school record books for the 200-yard butterfly. \nAfter posting nine straight victories in the event leading up to the Big Ten Championships, Halasz, a freshman, overtook Spitz with a 1:46.68 time March 9 at the Indiana Open.\n"This is great," Halasz said in a press release. "Woo hoo! I am so happy. This is something that I have been aiming for since I got here, and now I have it. My teammates were behind me the whole way and it was just an exciting moment when I looked back at the scoreboard."\nThe event opened with the 200-yard freestyle relay, where the squad of sophomores Claes Andersson, Dale Ramsy, Mike Payne and Val Milkov raced to a 1:19.29 time but were disqualified. The same squad raced the event later in the meet and swam a 1:19.90, good enough for a B NCAA qualifying time but not for the necessary automatic bid. \n"The second time was just as good, but it just was not enough," coach Kris Kirchner said in a press release. "The team pushed themselves all season and did a solid job. The team will be back next year and we are hoping for a great season in 2002-03."\nThe 200-yard medley relay squad of sophomore backstroker Matt Leach, junior breaststroker David Schulze, Halasz and Andersson finished in 1:28.66.\nThe final seedings for the NCAA championships were announced Saturday and three Hoosiers made the cut in individual events. Schulze will compete in the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke races, Andersson will compete in the 50- and 100-yard freestyle races and Ramsy will compete in the 50-yard freestyle. \nThe diving squad vied for NCAA bids at the NCAA zone diving competition March 15-16, and sophomore Marc Carlton qualified off the 10-meter platform. Carlton finished in second place with a 474.70 score. Junior Adam Hazes took fifth with 406.25.\n"Marc and Adam competed well this weekend," coach Jeff Huber said in a press release. "They both gave great efforts, and it is good to see them rewarded for all the work and effort."\nOff the one-meter boards, Carlton finished in fifth place with a 309.85 score, Hazes finished eighth with 281 and sophomore Alex Burns took 21st place with 228.50. \nCarlton will compete in the platform event at the NCAA Championships at the Gabrielsen Natatorium at the University of Georgia March 28-30.