Expectations met in win

The IU men's track and field team put together a dominating performance across the board and handed Michigan a lopsided 100-59 loss Saturday. The meet, held at the Gladstein fieldhouse, was the first of the season for IU. The Hoosiers produced many strong performances.\nIU won 11 of the 15 events and finished second in seven of those victories. \n"We were pleased with about 90 percent of the performances today, and any time you can go over 75 or 80, that's great," IU coach Marshall Goss said. "We started to look like a track team today." \nThree athletes qualified for NCAA provisional to go along with the victory. Junior Chris Powers was one of the athletes to qualify. His time of 8:10 in the 3000 meters was under the qualifying time by two seconds. His performance was also a 12-second improvement over his personal best in that event. \nHassan Reddick earned his NCAA provisional in the triple jump on his first attempt. The jump was not only a personal best but placed him fourth all-time on the school record books. Reddick was pleased with his performance.\n"The first jump and meet of the season are usually pretty bad, but I came out on my first jump and (stayed) in the 50's on the rest of my jumps, so I was very satisfied," he said. \nAll-American Dino Efthimiou earned his provisional in the pole vault. His clearance of 5.20 meters also put him among the top in the nation this year. Despite not qualifying for an NCAA provisional, several others had good meets.\nOne of those was sophomore Ryan Sarbinoff.\n"Ryan Sarbinoff had an absolutely outstanding 200-meter run," Reddick said. "The move he made in the second turn was unbelievable, and the way he brought us back in the 4x400 was phenomenal."\nSarbinoff won both the 200- (21.99) and 400 (48.83)-meter dashes and ran a leg on the 4x400 meter relay team, which also won.\n"I came nervous being the first meet and everything," Sarbinoff said. "I had high expectations, obviously, because of great fall training. (Our coaches) have done everything to get us ready for not only today but also for a few weeks from now when our training is actually supposed to pay off"