Coach hurt in wreck

Women's basketball coach breaks neck vertebra

Women's basketball coach Kathi Bennett remained in stable condition at Bloomington Hospital Sunday night after breaking the second vertebra in her neck in a two-car accident Friday morning in Bloomington.\nAssociate head coach Trish Betthauser replaced Bennett for the team's only game since the accident, a 79-55 loss to Purdue Sunday. Bennett's return to coaching has yet to be been determined, IU media relations staff assistant Gavin Lang said. \nBennett will wear a halo device to stabilize her neck for six to eight weeks following the near head-on collision with another vehicle while Bennett drove to work at Assembly Hall around 9 a.m. \nShe did not suffer spinal damage and maintains full function of her arms and legs. Doctors have told her that she should have a 98 percent recovery, Lang said. A neurosurgeon determined Friday that Bennett would not need surgery.\n"I want everyone to know that I am going to be OK," Bennett said in a statement. "I feel blessed to be a part of Indiana University. The support I have gotten here and the people have been awesome."\nThe accident occurred Friday when Bennett, driving a 2002 Jeep Liberty west on 17th St., just east of Linglebach Lane, crossed the center line and hit a 1997 Dodge Dakota truck heading east, IU police Sgt. Nancy Sloffer said. Bennett will be issued a citation for crossing the center line.\nBennett told the IU police officer at the scene that she had turned left too early to get onto Linglebach Lane when her car struck the other vehicle, Sloffer said. \n"Two witnesses that observed the accident confirmed both drivers' explanations for what happened," Sloffer said.\nBennett was conscious and alert at the scene, police said. Bennett complained of severe neck pain and had a badly bruised forehead, police said. She had not been wearing a seat belt, police said.\nShe was transferred to Bloomington Hospital by ambulance.\nThe passengers of the truck, Bloomington resident and non-student Treasa Ratliff, 23, and her 4-year-old daughter Elle Ratliff, had no apparent severe injuries and did not immediately go to the hospital, police said. \nTreasa Ratliff, who complained of a bruised forehead apparently caused by a deployed airbag, declined medical attention, Sloffer said. An ambulance crew checked out the Ratliffs. Elle Ratliff, a front-seat passenger, had a bruise and swelling above her right eye, apparently caused by another deployed airbag, Sloffer said. Both were wearing seat belts, police said.\nAlthough listed as a head-on collision in some reports, the accident involved Bennett's vehicle hitting the other vehicle's left side near the front tire, Sloffer said.\nThere was no indication that alcohol was involved, police said. Both vehicles were totaled. \nRoad conditions were dry and speed was determined to not be a factor, police said. The location of the accident is a 30-mile-per-hour speed zone.\nThe team visited Bennett at the hospital Friday afternoon, center Jill Chapman said.\n"It was really tough just hearing Coach was in an accident," Chapman said Sunday. "She fractured her neck. We had no clue at first what was going on, and then everyone went to see her. To hear her talk gave us a little bit of relief, and to see her move. I think we all came together and just keep praying for her, and trying to stay together. We know we have to keep playing."\nBennett's father, former Wisconsin men's basketball coach Dick Bennett arrived in Bloomington Friday, Lang said. Kathi Bennett was expected to stay Sunday night at the hospital, fulfilling the original projected stay of one to four days.