'Carmina burana' returns to MAC after 10 years

"Carmina burana" is coming back to IU after 10 years.\nThe ballet, which had its premiere at IU in 1991, is being presented by the School of Music at the Musical Arts Center this weekend. The production will feature a full orchestra, 150 choral members and more than 35 dancers.\nSenior Laura Scott, media liaison for the IU School of Music, said she is eager to have the famous ballet repeated at IU.\n"It's exciting because it's such a big production," she said. "To have it performed full-scale, with live music instead of 'canned,' it makes it even more incredible."\nScott noted some welcome changes in the ballet.\n"After 10 years, (choreographer) Jacques Cesbron decided to update it and make the dance even more intricate."\n"Carmina burana" holds a more personal meaning for some. Graduate student Doricha Sales, assistant director of the Pre-College Ballet Program, danced in it the first time it came to IU.\n"'Carmina burana' is the best ballet I've ever performed in my 17 years of performing ballet," she said. "I felt so lucky to be part of the 1991 performance -- with full chorus above and full orchestra below, it was an amazing and inspiring experience that could only be done with such professionalism and artistry in a school such as the IU School of Music."\nBesides the dancing, the music brings the piece to a higher level. With a score by Carl Orff and performances by some of IU's most talented musicians, the show has the potential to sell out as it did 10 years ago. Among the featured soloists are Andrew Wickesburg and Anne Rabbat.\nSales said, "You can't help but be taken over by the music."\nShe also stressed this is a production that can't afford to be overlooked.\n"I believe that 2001's 'Carmina burana' is going to be one of the most powerful performances ever done by the IU Ballet Department, and it would be a shame for anyone in the Bloomington area to miss it," she said.\nThe show is at 8 p.m. today and Saturday at the Musical Arts Center. Ticket prices are $12, $14 and $18 for general admission, and $10 for students. Tickets can be purchased at the MAC Box Office and through Ticketmaster locations.