All athletics canceled for tragedy

In accordance with NCAA Division I-A colleges across the country, IU has announced that all athletic events will be postponed until Monday. This decision is a direct result of the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington.\nIU had a full slate of athletic events scheduled for the weekend. Thursday, the women's soccer team's game against Louisville was postponed indefinitely, as was the men's soccer teams participation in the Butler Classic in Indianapolis.\nButler Athletic Director John Parry said that when the games resume, they could function as a way to bring Americans together.\n"We all recognize that sports is way in the background as far as relevance," Parry said. "But it can also be part of the healing process."\nThe women's volleyball team cut a trip to St. Louis short after the attacks. The cross country, women's and men's golf and field hockey teams have all postponed their respective events to a later date. \nIU Athletics Director Michael McNeely announced early Wednesday evening that the football team's home opener against Kentucky would go on as planned. But IU President Myles Brand reversed this decision about two hours later.\nEarlier Wednesday, various members of the football team expressed reservations about the game.\n"Honestly, I don't think (we should play)," junior quarterback Tommy Jones said. "My view is that there were kids (Tuesday) that went home without parents and people that had siblings that they have no longer. We're trying to focus in on football and keep our heads around here, but it's hard."\nAfter practicing as usual, the players were informed of the decision by McNeeley to proceed with the game. While the team was cooling off outside of the locker room, senior team captain Antwaan Randle El showed much enthusiasm about the decision to play.\n"In a lot of ways, I feel like we should continue with what we have always done," Randle El said, prior to the decision. "It shows them that they can do something to us, and we'll stop everything. I'm not the one to make the decision and all that, but at the same time, you got to let your life go on."\nBut Thursday morning the team was informed of Brand's reversal of the decision. As the players left Memorial Stadium, they expressed frustration with the fickle administrators.