Centerfielder earns award

IU junior centerfielder Kennard Jones was one of three Big Ten standouts named 2002 Big Ten Conference Player of the Year. Jones led the conference in overall hitting (.411), runs (72) and overall hits (88). In addition, Jones was second in hitting (.397) in conference games only. He led the league in hits (46), runs (30) and overall stolen bases (22). Minnesota junior second baseman Luke Appert and Michigan State junior outfielder Bob Malek were also named Player of the Year.\nJones was also named to the All-Big Ten First Team as an outfielder.\n"Kennard deserved these awards," coach Bob Morgan said in a press release. "He did a great job for us all season, and it is great to see him get the respect he deserves."\nJones is the second Hoosier to earn the Player of the Year award. In 1992, Mike Smith was the first-ever collegiate triple crown winner and earned the honor.\nJoining Jones on the All-Big Ten First Team is junior third baseman Vasili Spanos. Spanos finished the regular season as the overall Big Ten champion in home runs with 16. He hit seven homers in Big Ten games and knocked in 62 runs overall, which was enough for second in the conference. Spanos was the overall champion in slugging percentage (.773) and also on-base percentage (.505). He also finished second in overall walks (44) and was the league leader in walks in Big Ten games (23).\nThis is the first time since 1996 IU has been awarded with more than one All-Big Ten First Team honor. Senior Eric Blakeley was named to the All-Big Ten Third Team as shortstop after a career season in 2002. Blakeley hit nine home runs and knocked in 59 runs for the Hoosiers. He tied for first in conference games only RBI with 27 and hit .332 overall.\nTwo IU pitchers were named to the All-Big Ten team with junior Nick Vitielliss earning second team honors and senior Zach Otte earning third team honors.\nVitielliss finished 2002 with a 5-1 conference record and an overall record of 7-1. Otte was named to the All-Big Ten Third Team after a career senior season. Otte finished with a 4-2 conference record and a 7-3 record overall. \n"All of these guys are deserving of these honors," Morgan said in a prepared statement. "Otte had a great season and with all he has been through it is great to see him earn some respect. I thought Blakeley might have been higher, but the guys in front of him are pretty strong. Vitielliss was one of our top starters this season and hopefully he can help guide us to a Big Ten Tournament title"