Team begins Big Ten competition

After winning the Indiana Invitational, the IU softball team takes the field today to open Big Ten competition at No. 19 Iowa at 5 p.m. The Hoosiers and Hawkeyes are also scheduled to play at noon Saturday before IU travels to Northwestern for a doubleheader starting at noon Sunday.\nIU (9-10-1) is on a four-game winning streak, while Iowa (14-12) split its two games Wednesday against Illinois State. Northwestern (9-8-1) won five of its eight games at the Hawaii Invitational last weekend.\nJunior third baseman/catcher Stormy Hanson will lead the Hoosiers. She's hitting .446 with a career-high five home runs and 13 RBIs. In last weekend's games, Hanson went 4-for-10 with a double and two home runs, one being a game-winning shot.\nSenior catcher/third baseman Brooke Monroe is also swinging a hot bat after the Indiana Invitational. Monroe was hitting just .302 heading into the weekend but went 4-for-8 in three games to improve her average to .326. \n"My confidence (is better), seeing more at-bats and just having confidence," Monroe said of her improved success at the plate.\n"I think anytime you win it is going to help you," Stephenson said. "Losing is a bad habit and winning is a good habit but I think that they are both habits. I think us winning four games in row is a really good habit"