Playing the 'what-if' game

Haston does his best to watch IU's run through tournament

Kirk Haston is enjoying IU's ride to the Final Four. But the former Hoosier is on the outside looking in. \nHaston, who left IU after his junior season and opted for the NBA Draft, is with the Charlotte Hornets, not the Hoosiers. A season after his departure, Haston is watching IU's longest NCAA Tournament run in 10 seasons instead of playing in it. \nThe Hornets made Haston the 16th pick in the draft, but the 2001 third-team All-American is playing only five minutes per game and has a career high of four points. At IU last season, he averaged 19 points and 8.7 rebounds per game and played 31 minutes per contest. \nAny regrets? \n"I'd be lying if I didn't say it's every kid's dream to play in the Final Four," Haston said Wednesday after a team shoot-around in Charlotte. "You'd like to be a part of a team like that. But there's nothing better than fulfilling a dream in the NBA either."\nThat dream has sidetracked Haston in his attempts to watch IU during its NCAA run. Haston has had to contend with Hornets games that fall during the same time slot as IU tournament matchups.\nAs IU squeaked by Duke March 21, Haston watched from a restaurant, barely containing himself. \n"I thought they were going to kick me out," Haston said. "I had a hard time not yelling at the television screen." \nCharlotte will be in Cleveland Saturday for a 7:30 p.m. tip-off. IU and Oklahoma are set for a 6 p.m. start, meaning Haston will miss most of the game. But Haston has a solution.\n"I'm seriously considering taking a radio on the sideline or something because it's going to drive me nuts watching the scoreboard," Haston joked. "I might run (the radio) up through my jersey and keep my hand on the side of my head all game."\nWhat he'll hear is the name of his former frontcourt mate, sophomore Jared Jeffries, IU's leading scorer and the Big Ten Player of the Year. Jeffries scored 13.8 points per game last season, as Haston did most of IU's damage. But with Haston gone this season, Jeffries has blossomed into a second-team All-American and potential NBA Draft lottery pick, should he follow Haston's steps to leave for the NBA early. \nIU coach Mike Davis has said all season that Haston's departure helped Jeffries step into the spotlight. Jeffries' average rose from 13. 8 to 15.4, and his national notability skyrocketed. \nStill, Davis can't help but think of what might have been had Haston and Jeffries had one more season together.\n"I would love for Kirk and J.J. to be together because I think it would have been a great combination," Davis said. "Kirk Haston is a heck of a player."\nBut Jeffries isn't the only one who has seen his production climb because of the void left by Haston's departure. With Jeffries collecting the majority of opponents' attention, senior Jarrad Odle and junior Jeff Newton have replaced Haston's scoring and inside presence. Senior Dane Fife has also benefitted by picking up some of the scoring slack. \nThe trio of Odle, Newton and Fife combined to average just 14.5 points per game last season. They're scoring a combined 25.6 points per game this season. \n"J.J. has been the go-to guy this year," Haston said. "But the people who have benefitted more (since I left) are Dane and Odle."\nThe current Hoosiers, who have seen the benefits firsthand, agree. \n"Without J.J., we have Newton and Odle, who do a great job, but J.J. is our go-to guy," junior guard Kyle Hornsby said. "Everybody knows it."\nAnd if Haston had stayed in cream and crimson, would Jeffries have spent his sophomore season lurking in the lanky shadow of the 6-foot-10 former Hoosier? Haston isn't so sure Jeffries wouldn't be carrying the load. \n"He wasn't too far behind last year as far as being a top-quality player," Haston said. "If I helped him at all, I'd be more than happy that I did. He is still one of better players I have ever played one-on-one."\nAnd Haston could still be playing alongside Jeffries, on a team that might still be heading to the Final Four.\nStill sure there are no regrets? \n"You can't play what-if all your life," Haston said. "That will drive you crazy"