on the SIDELINES

Doubleheader cancelled\nThe IU softball team's scheduled doubleheader with Western Michigan Saturday was cancelled because of inclement weather. Of the Hoosiers' 13 scheduled games thus far in the spring season, eight have been cancelled because of weather conditions.\nLooking to improve on their 1-3-1 record, the Hoosiers are slated to return to action Thursday as they head to Fresno, Calif., for the Fresno State Classic. IU is scheduled to take on California Poly-Tech, San Diego State, Tennessee Tech, Baylor, Boston and host Fresno State in the three-day tournament.\nHoosiers head to Houston for Tourney\nThe Hoosiers are among an 18-team field today and tomorrow in the Verizon "Mo"morial at the Briarcrest Country Club in Bryan, Texas. The teams will play the first 36 holes today and the last 18 tomorrow. \nHead coach Sam Carmichael will fill out his lineup with senior Tiffany Fisher and sophomores Karen Dennison, Danah Ford, Mary Lidester and Ambry Bishop. \nThe field at the tournament is made up of Arkansas, Baylor, Ohio State, Michigan State, Iowa State, Iowa, Oklahoma, Northwestern, Texas Tech, UTEP, TCU, Kansas, Kansas State, Kent State, IU, Minnesota, Missouri and host Texas A&M.\nThe Hoosiers, who won the "Mo"morial last year, are coming off their first tournament of the spring season, the Central District Invitational, where they finished 10th out of 14 teams.\nWomen's track waits for results\nAt two separate meets this weekend, IU women's track and field athletes attempted to set provisional marks in hopes of getting a chance to compete in the NCAA tournament this weekend.\nTwo Hoosiers set new school records and gained provisional marks at Friday's competition at Iowa State. Senior Tia Trent ran the 400-meter dash with a time of 53.32. Her time set a school record in the event. Also setting a school record was junior Rose Richmond, who along with setting a provisional mark in the long jump became the third-highest jumper in IU history with a jump of 6.18 meters.\nAt the Notre Dame competition Saturday, freshman Emily Tharpe had a provisional mark with 3.9 meters in the pole vault. Her best mark this season was 3.91 at the Big Ten Championships.\nAlso competing at Notre Dame was a distance medley team, which finished in sixth place with a 11:41.99 season-best time.\nIn the 800-meters, IU placed in three spots, led by sophomore Courtney Bell, who finished eighth with a time of 2:12.11. She was joined by freshman Mindy Peterson, who ended 15th and clocked in at 2:14.93. Sophomore teammate Audrey Giesler rounded out the trio at 18th. She had a time of 2:15.59.\nThe Hoosiers are waiting to find out if their marks were good enough to earn them a spot in the Championships.