Hoosiers travel to enemy territory

Team looks to bounce back from weekend losses

After dropping two of the three games against East Tennessee State last weekend, IU invades hostile Xavier territory today at 3 p.m. in hopes of staying above the .500 mark on the season.\nIf history is any indication, then IU should improve its 3-2 record.\nThe Hoosiers have defeated the Musketeers 14 out of the 15 previous games the two teams have played. IU is riding a five-game winning streak versus Xavier, with the single loss coming in 1988.\nDespite the past success, IU coach Bob Morgan feels that Xavier will provide a tough match-up.\n"We're going on the road, and we need to play well in enemy territory," Morgan said. "Xavier is a very solid team with many returning players."\nXavier has been struggling lately, losing six of its last eight games. They are 4-6 on the year. The Musketeers do not have a volatile offense either, and have been held to three runs or fewer in five games.\nIn contrast, IU has not experienced problems with its bats. The Hoosiers average over 10 runs per game this season, and as a team; they have hit a scorching .360.\nBut the Hoosiers need to contain the opponent's offense, and they hope do that with junior Jacob Cary starting on the mound.\nCary will make his third start of the season, and looks to improve his 1-1 record.\nFellow pitcher and junior Ryan Smith does not expect to pitch today, but he knows that the pitching will come through.\n"We're not really rusty, and we're definitely ready to pitch," Smith said. "We have just been stuck inside a lot."\nSmith is grateful for how well the offense has come out of the gates this season.\n"As a pitcher, it's great to have an offense behind you that provides run support," he said. "It gives you more confidence because you can't be going out there worrying if the team is going to score runs."\nThe main problem IU has suffered this season has not been anything it could control. Five games have been cancelled because of poor weather, and senior shortstop Eric Blakeley said this has hampered the team's preparation. But the fact that IU plays 20 games in the next 26 days will help fine tune the team.\n"It's still early," Blakeley said. "Our pitchers are trying to find their spots, and they'll get better with experience"