DiNardo's first staff announced

Start with two high school coaches. \nAdd the son of IU's all-time winningest football coach and the younger brother of the school's athletics director. \nThrow in some sprinkles that include someone who experienced the Notre Dame coaching fiasco from the inside, a coach from Graceland and a running back coach who spent a season in the XFL. \nAnd top it off with two well-traveled coordinators. \nThe end result is Gerry DiNardo's first football staff at IU. DiNardo announced the staff Wednesday at Assembly Hall before the start of the men's basketball game against Wisconsin.\n"What has happened before to all of us is only relative to how it will help us do this present job," DiNardo said. "We'll be judged from what we do from this point on."\nThe newest additions to the staff include defensive coordinator/linebackers coach Tim Kish, defensive line coach Joe Cullen, running backs coach Gerald Brown and director of football operations Dino Mangiero. \nThe quartet join offensive coordinator Al Borges, secondary coach Curt Mallory, tight ends coach Mo Moriarity, offensive line coach Steve Addazio and assistant head coach/wide receivers Brian McNeely who were added last month, but not officially announced until yesterday.\nDiNardo didn't retain any of former coach Cam Cameron's coaching assistants.\nOne more coach will be added "within 10 days," according to DiNardo. He added that the new coach would "most likely" coach cornerbacks while Mallory coaches the safeties. DiNardo also didn't add a special teams coach, and he said special teams would be handled by "ownership" with more than one coach involved.\nBesides Moriarity (Bloomington South) and Mangiero (Brooklyn Poly Prep), who were long-tenured high school coaches, the rest of the staff features well-traveled assistants. Kish served as defensive coordinator at Ohio University last season and had the same title at Illinois in 2000. He was dismissed from both jobs.\n"I think any time you go through the transition I just went through, you're looking for a positive in the situation after that," Kish said. "This was one I really relish having a chance to be a part of." \nBorges served as the offensive coordinator at California the past season, but was not retained by new coach Jeff Tedford. Before California, Borges was UCLA's offensive coordinator from 1996 to 2000.\n"The Big Ten has always intrigued me," Borges said. "I've had opportunities over the last couple of years to play Big Ten teams. I know how good the conference is. It's going to be a fun challenge."\nCullen spent last season as Memphis' defensive line coach, while Brown coached the XFL's Memphis Maniax in 2001.\nMcNeely, the younger brother of athletics director Michael McNeely, spent the past two seasons as Colorado's coordinator of football operations and recruiting. McNeely said that he has never worked in the same environment as his brother.\n"It's going to be interesting to see (Michael) more often because we usually live across the country from each other," McNeely said.\nAdazzio spent the past three seasons at Notre Dame where he served as the offensive line, tight end and special teams coach during his time in South Bend. George O'Leary kept Addazio on his staff after Bob Davie was fired, but when O'Leary resigned in December and replaced by Tyrone Willingham, Addazio was not retained.\n"In college football, you're exposing yourself for great success and great failure," Addazio said. "Do you love the last couple of months? No. There's going to be some bad and some good."\nCurt Mallory, the son of former IU coach Bill Mallory, worked as Central Michigan's secondary coach last season. He also served as an assistant at Ball State from 1995 to 2000.\nMangiero and Moriarity are making the biggest transitions. Mangiero led Poly Prep High School to a 61-5-1 record the past eight seasons. Wide receiver Jahkeen Gilmore and running back John Pannozzo, two players who signed IU letters of intent last week, played for Mangiero at Poly Prop last season.\nMoriarity has a 183-42 record as a high school coach. He spent the last 15 seasons at Bloomington South.