world

American Taliban indicted

ALEXANDRIA, Va. -- A federal grand jury indicted John Walker Lindh on Tuesday, accusing the American Taliban fighter of conspiring to kill Americans in Afghanistan. \nThe 10-count indictment also accused Lindh of conspiring to provide support to terrorist organizations, including al Qaeda, and supplying services to the Taliban. Lindh could face several life terms in prison if convicted. \nThe indictment supersedes a criminal complaint that was based on statements Lindh made to the FBI in Afghanistan in December. \nAnnouncing the indictment at the Justice Department, Attorney General John Ashcroft said the charges describe Lindh as "an al Qaeda-trained terrorist who conspired with the Taliban to kill his fellow citizens." \nThe indictment said that in May or June of last year, Lindh agreed to attend an al Qaeda training camp "knowing that America and its citizens were the enemies of (Osama) bin Laden and al Qaeda and that a principal purpose of al Qaeda was to fight and kill Americans." \n After the Sept. 11 attacks, the indictment said, Lindh remained with his fighting group "despite having been told that bin Laden had ordered the attacks, that additional terrorist attacks were planned and that additional al Qaeda personnel were being sent from training camps to the front lines to protect bin Laden and defend against an anticipated military response from the United States." \n Ashcroft said the grand jury "examined the government's case and saw fit to charge John Walker Lindh with 10 specific crimes." \n"The reason for his choices may never be fully known to us but the facts of his choices are clear," Ashcroft said. \nThe indictment added these new charges against Lindh that were not included in the criminal complaint: \n-- Conspiracy to contribute services to al Qaeda and contributing such services. \n-- Conspiracy to supply services to the Taliban and supplying services. \n-- Using and carrying firearms and destructive devices during crimes of violence. \nWhen asked at a news conference whether the government considered asking the grand jury to charge Lindh with treason, U.S. Attorney Paul J. McNulty said, "As far as other charges, we have the opportunity or right to have a superseding indictment if the evidence justifies that." \nEarlier Tuesday, lawyers for Lindh asked that he be released pending trial, contending there was no evidence of criminal wrongdoing and no danger that he would flee.