Offensive outburst fuels win over rivals

Performing in front of their largest home crowd of the season, the men's club hockey team were faced with the difficult task of trying to outdo their previous night's 14-0 thrashing of Purdue. Luckily for the 700-plus in attendance at the Frank Southern Ice Arena Saturday night, the Hoosiers (12-3-1, 2-1-1) still had a few tricks left up their sleeve, thoroughly dominating the Boilermakers en route to a 17-1 victory.\nThe win was undoubtedly their most lopsided of the year, nearly doubling their previous season high of nine goals. It eclipsed last year's effort against the Boilermakers, during which IU managed \n24 goals in the two games combined. It also further extended IU's winning streak over Purdue to 17 games, dating back to 1992. \n"Coming out and beating up on a team like this is pretty fun. It's always exciting to beat Purdue," said senior Chad Whitlock, who made 10 saves on 11 shots Saturday for his second victory of the season. "From here on out, it just gets harder, so it's good to come out and get a confidence boost to start the second half of the season."\nIU's second line of Clint Heiber, David Ravensberg and Gordy Haggard put on a particularly good show for the home crowd, as the trio combined for 20 points, with hat tricks going to the latter two. They earned their coach's highest regards and will be relied on heavily as the Hoosiers enter their toughest portion of the schedule.\n"Ravensberg and Heiber really played great today," coach Rich Holdeman said. "I really like the way they're moving the puck; they're passing and skating very well. I hope it carries into next weekend."\nSenior Bryan Grant, now leading the team with 35 points in 13 games, scored five in each of the two games. Also showing up on the scoresheet this weekend were freshmen forward Adam Trussell and defenseman Jamie Dillon, both of whom scored their first career goals. For Trussell, Friday night was also his first career action at the collegiate level. Dillon had the best game of his young career Saturday, jumping into the play frequently and intelligently while adding four assists to his goal off a Bryan Grant rebound.\n"I thought Grant was going to put it in himself," Dillon said. "When I saw that puck laying there in the crease, my eyes lit up. I thought 'You know, if I don't score this one I'm never gonna score this year.' It was an easy goal."\nHoldeman was impressed with his play after watching Dillon struggle while recovering from a broken hand during the first half of the season.\n"It was good to see him finally get a goal," he said. "He's really a great skater. The hand really limited his playing time, and toward the end of the semester, he was just getting back and had lost a step. He looks more fit after the break. He's played a semester now, and he's got more confidence. I'm very happy with the way he's played."\nSaturday night's match-up lacked the mauling and brawling that had become a trademark of the IU-Purdue hockey rivalry. There were a few scuffles, but for the most part, IU was able to resist deviating from its finesse game, which explains why the Hoosiers were able to outshoot the Boilermakers 154-34 during the weekend.\n"We got through the weekend, nobody got hurt and nobody got disqualified," said Holdeman. "So it was a good first weekend"