Lacrosse team earns recognition

Unfamiliarity with the game of lacrosse would most likely stem from the lack of varsity teams in high schools and colleges in the state. Lacrosse is known as a game of speed and agility rather than size. The fast- paced game relies primarily on quickness, speed and teamwork. \nPlayed on the same size field as football with a stick, the crosse, which is used to throw, scoop, and catch the ball. The teams consist of three defensemen, three mid-fielders, three attackmen and one goalie.\n"It\'s a combination of soccer and hockey in the air," Jon Hatton, sophomore attackman for the IU club lacrosse team, said.\nTraditionally an East Coast sport, most of the players are from out of state. Midwest lacrosse is growing considerably, yet it still isn't as big as it is in the East. The IU lacrosse team is part of the United States Lacrosse Association, a nationwide governing body. Despite the lack of varsity status, the team takes its sport just as seriously as if they were a varsity squad.\n"The only difference between us being a club sport and varsity is that we don\'t receive scholarships," club president, senior Tom Fell, said. \nClub vice president, junior John Rieger said this is an advantage to the team in the classroom.\n"This way we can concentrate on academics more," he said.\nLacrosse is a spring sport, with the start of the 11-game schedule beginning at the end of February. The schedule consists of teams from all across the country, allowing the team to travel across the nation. This year the team looks to more camaraderie and teamwork as opposed to last year.\n"Last year we started out 5-1 but went downhill due to friction amongst players. A big goal for us this year is to develop our offense and give back to the seniors for their dedication," Hatton said.\n"Being a young team, with only two returning seniors, a big accomplishment for us would be to be one of the six teams to make the USLA conference tournament held at IUPUI. Then if we win, we'll receive a bid to play in the national championship," senior defenseman, Matt Wilner, said.\nThis season the team will count on a continuation of great play from last year through sophomore offensive attackman Brett Aparti, along with three preseason all-conference team members; seniors Wilner, Fell and Hatton.\n"(This is) our opportunity to represent IU through the game we love and know best," Fell said.