Pardon me while I rant

There are just a few things I want to talk about, and since this may be the last sports column I write, I wanted to touch all the bases. I might not get the chance to do so again.

BCS Mess\nWith LSU defeating Tennessee last night in the Southeastern Conference title game, the Bowl Championship Series is a big pile o' dung now. Who is going to play Miami in the title game? Will it be Oregon, Colorado, Nebraska, Florida? Who knows? The word playoffs just seems to be screaming out from all this mess. \n Each week, the team with the inside track to the Rose Bowl has lost, throwing everything up for grabs. First it was Nebraska, then Florida, then Texas, now Tennessee. Its obvious, BCS stands for Big Convoluted System.

Heisman Joke\nLast night, Nebraska's senior quarterback Eric Crouch walked away with the most coveted trophy in college football, the Heisman. This is a joke. Crouch, who is sure to live up to the recent rep of Heisman winners who did nothing in the NFL, had to have had the best public relations team in the business working for him. To hear announcers talk about him, you would think he's the greatest college football player ever, when he probably isn't even the best player in college football today. \nHe's a decent player, don't get me wrong, but there is another quarterback who we're all familiar with who does the same thing Crouch does, only better. And the fact that Antwaan Randle El wasn't invited just shows what a joke this year's presentation was.

Poor Baseball Owners\nBaseball commissioner Bud Selig went before Congress last week to make his case for contraction, saying that baseball is losing money. Oh, please. Its one thing to want to do the contraction for competition levels and to make the games more interesting, both arguments I make for contraction, but to come up with this sad-sack story about all the teams losing money is malarkey. \nIf owning a team was so bad, why would several of the owners who might lose their teams to contraction make plays to buy others? Not something you'd do if the money was bad. Selig, come clean as to why you want to contract, every time you lie you're just digging a deeper grave for America's former favorite pastime.\nYankees = $$. Well, big surprise, but another free agent period is upon us, and the Yankees are the only team using Monopoly money. Already this off-season, the Yanks have signed Steve Karsay, so they now have two closers to other teams' one or none; traded for Robin Ventura and pretty much have signed Jason Giambi to a huge contract. The icing on the cake could be their possible signing of outfielder Moises Alou, meaning then the Yankees would be batting players in the eight spot of the order that other teams would probably bat at the three spot. Big Poppa George Steinbrenner apparently didn't take kindly to losing the World Series to the Diamondbacks and is doing whatever it takes to make sure that doesn't happen again. \nGranted, I would love it if my team had an owner who spent money like this, it's true, but the truth is spending like this is bad for baseball. Its called revenue sharing people. Let everyone use a level playing field, otherwise you might as well give the Yanks the rest of the World Series trophies until Steinbrenner retires or decides to stop spending money.