Tradition at its best

'The Nutcracker' brings holiday spirit to IU

It's that time of year again: crowded shopping malls, last minute gift purchases, countless holiday parties, numbingly cold weather and every students favorite -- final exams. With all of these December duties, it's sometimes hard to enjoy the holiday season. But the IU Ballet Theater's production of "The Nutcracker" is a holiday tradition that might alleviate those dull winter blues.\nThe IU Ballet Theater brings enchantment and excitement to its 43rd annual presentation of the beloved classic ballet by Tchaikovsky. Now a Bloomington tradition, "The Nutcracker" explores the world of Little Clara, the Nutcracker Prince, the Snow Queen and the Sugarplum Fairy. \n"This production is beautiful to watch," said Doricha Sales of the IU Ballet Department. "The sets are exquisite, and each scene outdoes the one before it." The designer of the production, C. David Higgins, is an IU faculty member who teaches set design and has designed ballet and opera scenery for theaters throughout the world. Higgins is know for his detailed, Italian painting style, and Opera News has described him as one of America's finest scenic painters. \n"We're so lucky at this University to have the best of everything -- sets, costumes, the orchestra," said Courtney Fraga, a sophomore ballet major. "This production is very well organized and all the dancers have a high level of maturity."\nJacques Cesbron returns as choreographer for "The Nutcracker." Cesbron has been an IU Professor of Music since 1986, choreographing several ballets including "The Rite of Spring," "Carmina Burana," "Souvenir de Florence," "Time Landscapes" and most recently the Earthdance Concerto, composed by IU Professor of Music Don Freund. \n"The choreography is still classical in style," said Sales, "but it has the same fire and intensity of Cesbron's personal style which Bloomington audiences will recognize." \nThis year's production of "The Nutcracker" will feature many talented dancers from IU's pre-college ballet program, who are from the Bloomington community. \nDuring the evening performances Nov. 30 and Dec. 1, "The Nutcracker" will feature American Ballet Theater stars Julie Kent and José Manuel Carreño in the respective roles of the Sugar Plum Fairy and Cavalier. \n"The young IU Ballet Department dancers are given excellent role models to perform with in Ms. Kent and Mr. Carreño," said Sales. "These artists also bring their extreme talent and professionalism to the production, which heightens the level of performance at IU."\nKent, currently one of the worlds most famous ballerinas, has danced with the American Ballet Theater since her apprenticeship there in 1985. \n"She's a beautiful dancer and a beautiful person," said IU freshman ballet major Shannon Stobbe. "She is such an inspiration to all the dancers here at IU." \nKent was the only American to win a medal at the Prix de Lausanne International Ballet Competition in 1986, the same year in which she became a member of the American Ballet Theaters corps de ballet. Appointed as a soloist with the American Ballet Theater in 1990 and a principal dancer in 1993, she has created leading roles in "Americans We," "Baroque Game," "Rigaudon," "States of Grace" and "Without Words," among others. Last April, Kent became the only American to win the Prix Benois de la Danse.\nCarreño won the Gold Medal at the New York International Ballet Competition in 1987 and the Grand Prix at the International Ballet Competition in Jackson, Miss., in 1990. Carreño was a member of the English National Ballet in 1990, and a Principal dancer at the Royal Ballet in 1993. Appearing extensively in many lead roles throughout Europe, Latin America and the United States, Carreno joined the American Ballet Theater as a principal dancer in June1995. \n"The Nutcracker" will be performed 8 p.m. Nov. 30 and Dec. 1. There will be matinee performances at 3 p.m. Dec. 1 and 2. All performances are held in the Musical Arts Center. Tickets, which are $20-26 for the general public and $18 for IU students, are available at the Musical Arts Center Box Office (open 11:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Monday-Friday).