world

IU students among volunteers at new crash site, Ground Zero

Approaching "Ground Zero" early Monday morning, Red Cross volunteers and IU students Chris Gilbert and Ryan Todd expected what has come to be another routine day. \nThe two are aiding New York fire and police units who are sifting through tons of metal that use to be World Trade Center.\nAs members of an Emergency Response Vehicle Team, their vehicle was loaded with water, particle masks, and first aid materials to bring to rescue workers. \nBoth IU students were deployed last Thursday as disaster volunteers from the Bloomington chapter of the American Red Cross, and thought the extent of the action they would see was at Ground Zero.\nAs they approached the smoldering rubble that was once the World Trade Centers, Gilbert, a senior, and Todd, a junior, received a call over their radio that they will never forget.\n"All the guys around us were shouting, 'Another plane's gone down, Another plane's gone down'," Todd said. "We all thought that it was another terrorist attack. Then all Hell broke loose."\nThe scene was utter chaos as Todd and Gilbert filtered through the congestion surrounding the crash site.\nThe streets were crowded with onlookers trying to catch a glimpse of what hear fly overhead, as police, firefighters and rescue workers tried to contain the crowd and the blaze.\nGetting out of the ERV at around 10 a.m., Todd and Gilbert found that they were of the first to be on the scene. \n"We were initially concerned with the possibility of survivors," Gilbert said.\nWhat they found were bodies, not survivors. \n"We were actually what I would call, in the wreckage," Todd said. "There were bodies everywhere. Stuck under the rubble, in the street … everywhere."\nBut as it has become true with firefighters, police and rescue workers over the past two months, volunteers from the Red Cross put all personal peril and anguish aside. Todd described the feeling as a sense of duty.\n"We just had to suck it up and go," he said. "I had a job to do and nothing was going to stop me from doing it."\nEd VandeSande, director of emergency services with the Monroe Co. chapter of the ARC, described the two as "true spirited, strong and motivated."\n"They are both representing our chapter, IU and our community very well," VandeSande said.\nGilbert, Todd and other volunteers for the Red Cross worked diligently throughout the day distributing water, particle masks and first aid supplies. Physical and mental exhaustion was quickly setting in.\n"At 4 p.m. we were sent back to headquarters," Gilbert said. "We knew we had to go, but we really didn't want to leave."\nFollowing orders, Gilbert and Todd returned to their hotel to rest, eat and mentally prepare for redeployment at the crash sight at 8 p.m. Monday night. Neither could sleep.\n"The images will always stay with me," Gilbert said. "No matter where I go, especially when I am in New York, the images from Ground Zero and the plane wreckage will always be in my mind."\nThe Bloomington chapter of the ARC has issued a Family Well Being Inquiry. Anyone who has persons missing from their family should contact Ed VandeSande at 332-7292.