Guard out for season with torn ACL

Freshman impresses, explodes on offense, completing lineup in wake of injury

Indianapolis -- Coach Kathi Bennett guessed right. The women's basketball coach said Friday her starting point guard Kristen Bodine had probably torn her anterior cruciate ligament in the Hoosiers' home opener and could miss the rest of the season.\nTuesday, Bodine dressed in street clothes after tearing her ACL during IU's 97-72 win against Butler.\nBodine will indeed miss the remainder of the season. She suffered the injury when she twisted her right knee trying to grab a rebound in the first five minutes of the Hoosiers' loss to N.C. State Friday. She left the game and did not return.\nBodine's ACL injury is unique because 70 to 80 percent of such injuries don't occur during collisions, said athletic trainer Wendy Potter. But that distinctiveness doesn't mean Bodine's injury is exceptionally serious. Potter said she figured Bodine tore her ACL when she was injured.\n"We had a pretty high degree of suspicion when she got hurt, and the MRI just confirmed our physical evaluation," Potter said.\nResults from an MRI and a visit to an orthopedist during the weekend confirmed the injury. Bodine should recover in three to four months after reconstructive surgery, Potter said. Bodine will work on her motion and strength while maintaining cardiovascular fitness the next few weeks.\n"I do think it was hard, it was our first game pretty much, playing without Kristen and it's going to take time getting people stepping up and filling that role," Bennett said. "It won't be easy replacing her. It's going to take time for certain people to step up. Her absence leads a void at the shooting guard slot as senior guard Heather Cassady moves to point guard.\n"The starting guard spot will go to whoever earns it in practice," Bennett said. "And it's up for grabs."\nBodine will pursue a medical redshirt. The current season will be Bodine's second consecutive on the sidelines -- she had to sit out last season after transferring from Butler, where she averaged 10.7 points and 4.5 assists per game. \nIn three games this season, Bodine averaged 7.7 points on 35.7 percent shooting and was 10-for-10 at the free throw line. She tallied a season-high 14 points against No. 7 Stanford in IU's season opener.\nAs a first-team All-State honoree, Bodine helped Martinsville High School to two state titles and a 59-1 record during her junior and senior seasons. She was named to the All-Midwest Collegiate Conference team her sophomore year. \n"K-23"\nFreshman Jenny DeMuth wrote Bodine's number, "K-23", with black marker on her white Nikes with the rest of her teammates for Tuesday's game. While honoring Bodine on her shoes, DeMuth paid tribute to the injured junior on the floor as starting shooting guard.\nIn her first start, DeMuth scrambled for rebounds, dove for loose balls and displayed sharp-shooting skills -- even when the Hoosiers' had a double-digit lead.\n"We just wanted her to know we're behind her," DeMuth said of the team's tribute. "A lot of people have gone through ACL (injuries), and they know what's going to happen to her, and we support her 100 percent."\nDeMuth, a 5-foot-10 freshman, showed her support by finishing the night with her first career double-double, generating 13 points on 4-for-6 shooting and 10 rebounds, four offensive, in 23 minutes. \nBefore Tuesday's game, DeMuth had averaged 2.3 points on 2-for-12 shooting (16.7 percent) and 3.7 rebounds per game. DeMuth, a Highland, Ind., product, was the runner-up to the Miss Indiana Basketball last year. In her fourth game for the Hoosiers, DeMuth energized her team and punctuated IU's rout of the Bulldogs.\nWith four minutes remaining in the first half, DeMuth fell to her knees while reaching for a rebound that senior center Jill Chapman missed under Butler's basket. DeMuth came up empty handed. At the 6:05 mark, DeMuth took a block and completed one of two free throws.\nBesides getting her share of bruises, DeMuth was explosive on offense. Early in the first half she dribbled the ball up court and passed to junior guard Jill Hartman in a two-on-one situation for a quick layup to increase the score to 31-26.\n"Coach told me I needed to play harder, so that was my attitude," DeMuth said. "No matter how much we're up by or down by you can't give up."\nDeMuth took over as point guard when Cassady was limited to 11 minutes in the first half after picking up two fouls. DeMuth continued the damage, scoring eight points and grabbing seven rebounds in the first half.\nDeMuth stretched the lead to 82-57 with seven minutes to go after squeezing through three defenders for a layup. After the loss of Bodine, DeMuth made her case for the starting shooting guard position. She'll have to see how Bennett decides to cast the role.\n"I'm not sure," DeMuth said. "She said the spot's open to anyone to fill, so we'll see what happens"