Duo sets multiple records

Randle El, Williams react modestly to offensive success

Antwaan Randle El and Levron Williams don't have much use for records.\nAsk senior Randle El about being the only NCAA Division I player to throw for 40 touchdowns and score 40 more, and he'll tell you there will be plenty of time to reflect on it in January.\nAsk Williams, a senior tailback, about rushing for 280 yards and six touchdowns against Wisconsin earlier this season, and he'll credit his offensive line.\nBut it's hard not to notice the numbers both players have put up this season.\nWilliams has ran for more than 250 yards in a game twice this season and is sixth in the nation in rushing yards per game, with 136.63. Add his receiving and kick return yards, and Williams leads the nation in all-purpose yards per game. He's also third in scoring.\n"Just knowing that I can go out there and put up those kind of numbers with help, it's a great feeling, because everybody contributes to that," said Williams, who broke the 1,000-yard mark last weekend against Michigan State. "Antwaan can run it, I can run it or Jeremi (Johnson). And the offensive linemen are doing their job. They've been doing it all year.\n"They open up holes; we run through them."\nRandle El is running into record books in the process.\nBesides being the only player in the 40-40 club, he's also the only player to throw for 6,000 and rush for 3,000 yards in a career. At his current pace, Randle El will end the season as the only player to account for 2,500 yards in four separate seasons, as well.\nAnd the records he's eclipsed this season have fallen despite his not playing to his potential, he said.\n"I feel like I still haven't had my break-out game as far as throwing and running at the same time," he said. "We've had some games where if I threw the ball a little better, we had a better chance to win and if we had our running game a little better, we had a better chance to win.\n"Until I put it together as far as being able to throw and run at the same time and make the plays that I've been making, then I don't feel like I had that breakout game yet, and I don't feel like this is the best season for me yet."\nWhile he might not have had a breakout game by his standards, Randle El has put up strong numbers the past two weeks.\nIn a 56-21 victory over Northwestern, he threw for 246 yards and three touchdowns and rushed for 78 yards and another score. He followed the performance with 149 yards and one touchdown rushing against Michigan State.\nRandle El also broke another NCAA mark against the Spartans, becoming the all-time leader in rushing yards by a quarterback. He now has 3,645.\nThe record is one of many Randle El's broken both this season, but again, it's nothing he gets too excited about.\n"It means a lot, but at the same time, I take it in stride, stay humble about it, because I would trade it all in to go to a bowl game," said Randle El after the game. "I love the records and stats and that kind of thing, but you've got to keep going."\nWith Williams by his side, the duo might keep breaking records in the process.