'Rent' returns to campus by popular demand

After less than two years, the Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award-winning musical "Rent," will return to the IU Auditorium tonight. Back by popular demand from local theatergoers, "Rent" is the powerful and moving tale of a year in the life of bohemian New York. A smash hit all over the country, "Rent" came to Bloomington in Dec. 1999, and was one of the most popular choices on a list of 68 possible events presented to auditorium members who were polled earlier this year, according to Auditorium General Manager Bryan Rives. \nJoining the cast in her first national tour is Indiana native Krystal Washington playing the role of Mimi, an exotic dancer battling HIV. Ms. Washington said she was energized for the weekend's performances. \n"This is a great trip," she said. "The people I work with are amazingly talented. It's an honor to be a part of the cast." \nWashington is just starting out on a 41-week tour with the show and hopes to continue as long as she can. With one year left to go before she finishes her major in fashion merchandising and minor in marketing at Ball State University, Washington began her tour in Muncie this week. She originally auditioned for Rent in Oct.1999 and was finally admitted in April of this year. She says that the other actors are like her family, and she was excited to meet the father of the show's late creator, Jonathan Larson. \nWashington has learned a lot in the short time that she has been working on the show about acting, and about life. She stressed that the message of the show is especially important "in light of what's happened in the country recently" and says that "the play reminds us that love, family, and friends are the most important things in life."\nOf her character, Mimi, Washington says, "I like her a lot! I love who she is and the fact that she's tough but fragile too." Washington had the opportunity to work with the production's original director and choreographer in developing her character. She calls it "a wonderful experience" and tells aspiring actors "go to school, get an education to fall back on, but by all means, follow your dreams."\nA special offer of $20 tickets will be made available on the days of the show. \nThis is part of a long-running tradition started in New York when the show moved to Broadway after a sold-out run in a small downtown theater. In a press release from the IU Auditorium, producer Kevin McCollum was quoted as saying "Jonathan (Larson, the show's creator) was himself a struggling artist and his dream was to create a universal piece of musical theatre that's available to everyone... we are happy to be able to offer prime seats to people who otherwise would not be able to purchase them." \nThe IU Auditorium will offer seats in the front two rows of the orchestra for $20 (plus a $1 facility fee) to every performance. These tickets are available to anyone, and will go on sale the day of the performance, two hours prior to the show, for cash only. There is a limit of two tickets per person and lines will not be recognized until 10 a.m.\nTickets are still available for the show and may be purchased at the IU Auditorium box office. Performances are today at 8 p.m., Saturday Oct. 6 at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m., and Sunday Oct. 7 at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Prices range from $21 - $56 ($16 - $51 for IUB students).