Optimistic team faces off against Iowa Hawkeyes

With 'nothing left to lose,' team will increase efforts to improve

After a pair of 3-2 heartbreaking losses, both of which came in double overtime, the field hockey team travels to Iowa City, Iowa, to take on the Hawkeyes and Southwest Missouri State over the weekend.\nIn last weekend's matches, the Hoosiers held a 2-0 lead over No. 6 Michigan State and a 2-1 lead at Saint Louis. But IU wasn't able to finish off the Spartans and Billikens, and lost each match on goals in the 76th and 91st minute, respectively. The pair of losses dropped the Hoosiers to 1-11 and 0-3 in the Big Ten on the year.\nJunior co-captain Erica Nilsson said it was hard for the team to have a lead, then lose late in the match.\n"It was great to be up on top," Nilsson said. "It was that feeling that we have been waiting to have, and I think that's what hurt the most, because we had that feeling and (then lost)."\nBut Nilsson said the Hoosiers could take their team effort and play from the weekend matches to help them build for the rest of the season.\n"We came together as a team, every person contributed in some way, whether they were on the sidelines or on the field," she said. "It was a 100 percent team effort. We are a complete team now and we are excited to keep going forward."\nCoach Amy Robertson said it was hard to lose two games the team competed in so hard, she was very proud of their play and looks for even more improvements this weekend.\n"We have witnessed that our performance has continued to improve," Robertson said. "So although we would have liked to have come away with a couple of wins in those close games, we have to focus on what we are doing well and know that we aren't finished."\nSophomore goalkeeper Katie Kanara had two stellar performances against Michigan State and Saint Louis, collecting 15 saves in the two matches. Kanara said the team seems to rise to the level of their competition and is looking to carry the momentum gained from last weekend's matches through the rest of the season.\n"I think in big games that we all seem to raise our level of play," Kanara said. "Our defense has made my job easier and has really stepped up. Whenever I can get a good save early, it really seems to carry on through the rest of the game. Hopefully, we can continue moving forward instead of going backwards to (our play earlier in the year)."\nRobertson said Kanara's play had impacted the team and helped the defense create an aggressive attitude.\n"It certainly helps to have a goalkeeper who makes the saves that she needs to make," she said. "It helps set the tone for our entire defense. (Katie) has had some incredible performances and if she hadn't we may not be as close as we have been. But both of our goalies are very good and it seems that whenever one gets an opportunity, they come out and play their best."\nBut the task ahead of the Hoosiers won't be any easier this weekend. Iowa is ranked No.16 in the nation and brings an 8-3 record into the weekend, including wins over Saint Louis, Stanford and Northwestern, all teams who have defeated the Hoosiers. SMS boasts an 8-6 record overall, but has won seven games in a row and only allowed one goal over that span.\nRobertson noted that the Hoosiers have to keep attacking if they get ahead this weekend, but that they have nothing to lose going to play Iowa and Southwest Missouri State.\n"We have to recognize that if we do get ahead of Iowa, we need to turn it up and fight even harder to continue to try and score more and stay poised," she said. "This is a win-win situation for us this week, because we aren't expected to win these games and we have nothing to lose. That seems to be the time that we play the best. The only way we can win is to play our best and if that falls short we will know that we still some things to work on"