Friday, July 26

Looking to pick up the pace

Team's confidence, determination key for strong race

The women's cross country team competes today at the Notre Dame Cross Country Invitational in South Bend. The team looks to bounce back this week after a disappointing race last weekend at the Roy Griak Invitational in Minneapolis.\nThe Hoosiers will compete against tough talent from their region. They will face Notre Dame, Ball State, Butler and Miami (Ohio). This will be the second 6K race for the Hoosiers this season. Butler and Miami (Ohio) have defeated the Hoosiers in previous races this year.\nLast weekend the Hoosiers were led by freshman Mindy Peterson, who placed 88th, and sophomore Becky Obrecht who placed 107th. Those two said they look to lead the Hoosiers again this weekend.\n"Everyday in practice I try to push myself as hard as I can," Obrecht said. "That gives me the confidence to know that I can go out there and run in the front of the pack." \nLast weekend marked the first time this season that junior Amanda Bell has placed for the Hoosiers since her return from an early season injury.\n"It feels great to gradually build back in. It helps that I get to train with a lot of good people," Bell said.\nHead coach Judy Bogenschutz said Bell is making progress and needs to continue to do so.\nOne concern for the Hoosiers is how they will respond after not finishing very well last weekend. They placed 26th out of 32 teams. Bogenschutz said she hopes that last weekend was a wake up call for the team.\n"Generally, they know what they have to do. I think (their response to last week's result) is an individual thing. I have thrown down the gauntlet. I've put the challenge out there to some of the girls. They know what they have to do. It's up to them to rise to the occasion," she said.\nObrecht said she agrees with Bogenschutz.\n"Last week was a big wake up call for us. I think we need to look past last week and turn things around," she said.\nBell said she thinks the team is ready for this weekend.\n"I think we are going to respond well because we had some really good workouts this week. Coach has definitely given us a light under our butts," she said.