Trustees confirm Brehm as new chancellor

Board also supports phases of bus plan

INDIANAPOLIS -- Donning a gold IU lapel pin, Ohio University provost Sharon Brehm was unanimously approved as the new Bloomington chancellor by the board of trustees Friday.\nThe board approved IU President Myles Brand's recommendation for Brehm to become the next Bloomington chancellor, replacing Kenneth Gros Louis July 1 when he retires.\nBrand, who described Brehm as "passionately committed to academic excellence," also officially announced the new chancellor will live in University Chancellor Herman B Wells' former residence.\n"Herman B Wells left IU with many gifts, both tangible and intangible," Brand said. "That house will become our new Bloomington chancellor's residence."\nBrehm said she has already started learning the ropes at IU, even looking to current administrators and faculty for advice. Among them has been Gros Louis himself.\n"Ken Gros Louis has agreed to provide private tutoring," she said. "With such a teacher, how can anyone not learn?"\nBrehm again stressed three specific areas she will focus on during her tenure -- "academic excellence, diversity and partnerships." She also continually thanked Brand, the 34-member search committee and the board of trustees.\n"It is clear to me the University is blessed," she said. \nIn other trustee news, the board unanimously voted to support the continuation of a three-year bus plan, which could eventually involve the merging of the IU Bus System and Bloomington Transit.\nIU Student Association president Meredith Suffron, a senior, is part of the IU bus proposal implementation team.\n"If our ultimate goal is to prevent students driving to campus, what better way to do that?" Suffron said about universal service.\nIU is in the first phase of the plan. This year, students have paid about $21 each semester to ride the Bloomington Transit buses with a valid student ID.\nIn the next phase of the plan, students will pay about $26 each semester to use the Bloomington Transit system as well as the stadium shuttle bus, Suffron said. This is an increase of about $5.\nThe third phase of the plan includes completing universal service and raising the mandatory fee.\nAlthough there has been student opposition launched to the universal bus plan, as point trustee Ray Richardson brought up, senior Jason Dudich said there is an appeal process.\nDudich, a member of the team and the Residence Hall Association president, said 30 appeals have been processed this year, and two have been granted.\n"Many students are stressing that they are wanting universal access more then ever," Dudich said. "I believe it's worth it, and it's benefitting students."\nTerry Clapacs, vice president and chief administrative officer, pointed to a Metro article that named the Bloomington Transit system the second-most improved in the country.\n"It's a win-win for everyone," he said.