Mixed bag highlights Row 7

One women's team boasts experience, other 2 new to race

Row 7 is mixed with experience and newcomers, but each team has confidence in its capability. One team boasts three experienced riders, while the two other squads didn't field a team in last year's women's Little 500. Despite low qualification times, the teams are ready to show their stuff in the race. \nNo. 19 Alpha Xi Delta, 3:14.65\nAlpha Xi Delta was unable to have a team last year, because its sorority house was on probation. But this year, the team plans to come out with a vengeance. \n"This is our chance to prove ourselves to our house and to everybody," senior Megan Lambeth said. "Our expectations are high for the race."\nDespite not fielding a team for last year's race, two of the Alpha Xi Delta riders continued to train. This is Lambeth's third year riding and senior Elizabeth Temporiti's second.\nThe rookies on the team are junior Allison Ward and sophomore Sarah Kueper.\n"I was training all summer, because I race during the summer," Lambeth said. "But we started training together as a team when we got back to school. We worked on road rides and took cycle fit classes."\nThe team traveled to Gainesville, Fla., for spring break, and spent much of that time polishing its distance riding skills, riding about 40 to 60 miles per day.\n"We'll definitely be better during Little 5 because of how we've been practicing," Lambeth said. Alpha Xi Delta has never had a team finish in the top 10, but no one should be fooled by the No. 19 qualification, Lambeth said.\n"We slowed it down a lot (during qualifications), because it wasn't worth (trying to qualify for) a fourth time, since the women's teams all qualify," Lambeth said. "We will improve from 19, and my goal is to finish in the top 10."\nNo. 20 Forest, 3:15.76\nForest did not have a team in last year's race, leaving this year's team looking to qualify, but not much else.\n"We were only expecting to beat a couple of people," sophomore Carissa Litz said. "But we beat 10 teams, so we were really happy with our (qualifications)."\nLitz is one of five women who are preparing to race for Forest. Sophomore Rebekah Lockwood, junior Melissa Blake, sophomore Michelle Vaught and freshman Amber Garvey join Litz to make up this team of rookies.\nForest began training, but often retreated to the Student Recreational Sports Center to condition because of cold and rainy weather.\n"Before (the track opened) we would jog, and we would do stairs," Litz said. "Now, we've been spending up to 10 hours a week at the track, and then we ride around campus together."\nThe riders chose to go their separate ways for spring break, but Litz said the team doesn't feel that will hurt its chances.\nThe team is not disappointed by where it qualified and is now excited for the race.\n"We were excited because most of the greek houses have been practicing since September, and we didn't get a team until January," Litz said. "It's such a huge event, and none of us have ever done it before, so we just want to go out and see what we can do. I don't know what to expect. I just do not want to finish last."\nNo. 21 Cycledelics, 3:16.15\nThe Cycledelics have three experienced riders on their side for this year's race. Sophomore Natalee Hird is the only rookie, meaning Cycledelics is one of the more seasoned squads in the women's field.\n"It's good, because last year I came from an all-rookie team, and it was hard because you didn't have anybody coaching you or helping you out with things," senior Tammy Lueck said. This year, there are three of us who can help our rookie out as much as we can."\nSenior Mercedes Collins, a third-year rider, and senior Jeannette Nigon, a second-year rider, joins Lueck, also in her second year, and Hird to round out the team.\nCollins and Nigon rode last year for the Cycledelics, but Lueck was part of the now-disbanded GDI.\n"I rode for a team called GDI, but two girls from that team graduated and one girl didn't want to ride again, so I got recruited to Cycledelics," Lueck said. "Then, Natalee contacted us, and we had our team."\nSince coming together last fall, the Cycledelics have been concentrating mainly on intervals, sprints and pack riding, the team said.\nDuring spring break, the team joined Dodds, a men's team, in Alligator Point, Fla., to become familiar with its bikes and the details involved in race day.\nAfter all the training they have done, the Cycledelics said they are read to race.\n"I'm really excited, mostly because it's my last year, and two of my teammates are also graduating, so we want a good turn-out," Lueck said. "We've all worked hard, we all want to do really well"