Little 500 coverage expands, hits Internet

It's your race. And the Indiana Daily Student is doing everything to bring it to you. \nWith its online partner, the Indiana Digital Student, the IDS is bringing the women's and men's Little 500 to your personal computer. As you might have already noticed, the Digital Student has launched a Little 500 site (www.idsnews.com/little500/), posting stories pertaining to the 33 men's and 30 women's teams. \nThe site also features an interactive tour of Bill Armstrong Stadium, the location of both races. Browsers can see where each of the 63 teams' pits are located, as well as the position of key officials. With the construction of a new grandstand and the removal of the old one, browsers can explore the new look of the track, including the move of the start/finish line. Jersey colors are also assigned to each team on the site, helping interested spectators find their teams in the circling herd of cyclists.\nBut that's just the beginning.\nIdsnews.com will be the home for Little 500 race day coverage. For alumni out of town and students stuck in the dorms, the site will provide live updates from the men's race and immediate posts from both events when the races are completed. Plans are also in the works to provide images from the track during the race, so fans can read -- and see -- the progress of their favorite team. Within seconds of the races' conclusion, browsers will know the winners of the 14th women's and the 51st men's Little 500. \nFrom there, 19 IDS staff members will hit the ground, providing audio interviews with the winners and other racers. Nine photographers will document the event through their lenses and eight reporters will present the race in text. Stories will be posted immediately.\nMonday, with the Little 500 over, the IDS print edition will back up its online coverage with in-depth analysis of this year's race, including perspectives from the racers.\nWhat started with a 1,400-word story by Little 500 men's beat reporter Guy Cipriano in February ends this weekend. Every racer's name has been in print on an IDS page. \nThe men's and women's winners will see it again Monday. Will you?