IU to finish home schedule

Hoosiers welcome pair of struggling conference foes

The women's tennis team said it hopes to end the regular on a winning note this weekend, as they are host to two neighbors to the north -- Michigan Saturday and Michigan State Sunday, both matches starting at 10 a.m.\nHistorically, IU (14-8, 5-3 Big Ten) has come out on top against the two schools, having taken 26 of the last 30 matches with Michigan, including a 4-3 win against the Wolverines last season, and sporting a perfect 32-0 career mark against Michigan State. The Hoosiers met the Spartans in the Big Ten Tournament last season, with IU prevailing 4-0.\nWhen it comes to preparing for a matchup, coach Lin Loring said he does not pay attention to past records. \n"Michigan State is still rebuilding, and we are heavily favored in that matchup, but Michigan had a really good recruiting class and are as talented as any team in the conference," Loring said. "We are really going to have to be ready to play that match."\nThat recruiting class for Michigan (7-10, 2-6 Big Ten), has produced its top two singles players in freshmen Christine Nolan and Kavitha Tipirneni. The two have alternated between the Nos. 1 and 2 positions all season, with Nolan sporting an overall 18-10 record, and Tipirneni an even 14-14. No. 3 singles player Szandra Fuzesi has had success in singles play this season, as she is 17-9 on the season winning eight of her last 10 matches.\nIn the last match of the regular season, the Hoosiers are challenged by the struggling Michigan State.\nThe Spartans (6-13, 0-7 Big Ten) are led by a lone senior, Natasha Skogerboe, and are fighting through a rebuilding year. But the future looks bright with the team made up of five freshmen, three sophomores and two juniors.\nAlthough the two matchups appear on paper to be less difficult than last weekend's contests with Ohio State and Penn State, the Hoosiers said they are not taking their opponents lightly.\n"I definitely wouldn't call this weekend easy," junior Amanda Field said. "Michigan State has had a rough year, but Michigan will be a really tough match. Anything can happen in either match, so you never know."\nWith the regular season coming to a close, so to does the regular season career's of IU's two seniors, Kelly Blanch and Jennifer Hsia.\nBlanch will be tough to replace next year, as she has found a home at the No. 1 doubles position. She has played No.1 doubles since her freshman year and has played anywhere between No. 1 and No. 3 singles in her four years. This year was Blanch's first full year at No. 1 singles, and has posted a 13-9 record in the spring, which includes a 5-3 conference record.\nHsia has also made a name for herself in the doubles, having complied a 34-18 doubles record during her four years at IU, and a 15-3 record in the Big Ten.\nWith the grueling Big Ten schedule the last couple of weeks, and the Big Ten Tournament just around the corner, Hsia said she has not had a chance to reflect on the end of her career. \n"I haven't really had much time to think about it," Hsia said. "But knowing me, I'll be sad after Sunday's match. It has been a great time for me here at IU, and I know i'll really miss it"