Hoosiers dominate at home

The men's track and field team continued its home dominance, recording 12 wins in 19 events en route to its second victory of the outdoor season and third of 2001 Saturday at the Robert C. Haugh Track and Field Complex. \nIU had the lead the entire meet and finished with156 points to hold off Eastern Michigan, which took second with 139 points and Big Ten rival Illinois, which finished third with 63 points.\nSophomore Pat Miller and senior Brian Bowman kicked off the Hoosier victory, taking first and second, respectively, in the javelin throw. Miller's winning throw of 63.84 meters was a career best by nearly 10 feet and moved him into third all-time on IU's outdoor javelin record.\nBowman won the high jump, clearing 2.06 meters. He also threw a career best in the discus of 46.58 meters, good for third place.\nFreshman Tom Burns won the 3,000-meter steeplechase with season-best time of 9:11.64. Sophomore Nathan Purcell ran the event for the first time in his career and took fourth in 9:24.74, the fourth-best time by a Hoosier this season.\nSophomore Mike Minton dominated the weight throwing events. Minton recorded double wins in the shot put and discus. He threw a career best in the shot put of 17.77 meters and just missed his career best in the discus by three inches with a mark of 55.7 meters.\nJunior Wasyl Fedoriw took third in the shot put with a career best of 16.67 meters.\nSophomore Hasaan Reddick dominated the jumping events, winning by a foot in the long jump with a mark of 7.21 meters. In the triple jump, Reddick did the same, defeating his nearest opponent by more than six inches with a winning mark of 14.61 meters.\nJunior All-American Dino Efthimiou won the pole vault, clearing the bar at 5.07 meters, while junior Ian Curry took third for the Hoosiers with his best mark of the season at 5 meters. \nFreshman Contrell Ash continued the Hoosiers' dominance recording double wins in the 100- and 200-meter dashes for the second time this season. Senior Aaron Gillen won the 3,000-meter run with a time of 8:24.67.